Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Volvo 41P

Default Re: Volvo 41P

Quote Originally Posted by superheat6k View Post
    My specific experience is the TMD40A and TAMD60C. Does the gearbox cooler not have anodes either on the TAMD41P ?
    No, not on the HS1 gearbox cooler.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Dundee View Post
    Had a good look over the boat, all seems good. The engine looks clean, sounds very quiet and sweet and starts on the button without plumes of smoke. It does, however, continue to smoke at tick over when cold. Going out for sea trial tomorrow so hopefully will be ok once warmed up. Oil pressure around 80psi when cold at idle which seems a bit high. Any thoughts on a smokey cold idle?
    My 41p smokes a little at idle and also underway. Always been like that. I had the engine checked by an experienced VP mechanic at 650hrs when I bought her and he said that amount was normal. Now at 1300hrs and still the same. Once the prop gets fouled the smoke underway does get worse, as would be expected. With everything perfectly clean mine will get to 22 knots in flat water and should reach max engine revs 3700 to 3900rpm. Oil pressure should be 21psi at idle 60-71psi at WOT.

Oh, and there is a strange quirk on the dipstick, should you pull it to check oil. When you pull the dipstick you will often see no oil on it at all! Don't panic, and certainly don't start adding oil. Wait a minute, put dipstick fully in again then withdraw and there will be oil! There is an O ring at the top of the dipstick which appears to seal the tube and holds back the oil and the dipstick tube goes right to the bottom of the sump (allowing oil to be sucked out without inserting a small tube down inside).

Last edited by Plum; 17-09-19 at 07:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    My 41p smokes a little at idle and also underway. Always been like that. I had the engine checked by an experienced VP mechanic at 650hrs when I bought her and he said that amount was normal. Now at 1300hrs and still the same. Once the prop gets fouled the smoke underway does get worse, as would be expected. With everything perfectly clean mine will get to 22 knots in flat water and should reach max engine revs 3700 to 3900rpm. Oil pressure should be 21psi at idle 60-71psi at WOT.

Oh, and there is a strange quirk on the dipstick, should you pull it to check oil. When you pull the dipstick you will often see no oil on it at all! Don't panic, and certainly don't start adding oil. Wait a minute, put dipstick fully in again then withdraw and there will be oil! There is an O ring at the top of the dipstick which appears to seal the tube and holds back the oil and the dipstick tube goes right to the bottom of the sump (allowing oil to be sucked out without inserting a small tube down inside).

Had an hour out on the boat this morning and was much as you describe, slightly smokey but not unduly so. Had to smile when I read your warning about the dipstick as this was exactly what happened. I dipped the sump - nothing, not even a smear of oil. After a brief wtf? I redipped and lo and behold a nice half way reading.

The upshot is that the boat is bought and plans underway for shipping. Just got to work out how to fit a radar arch to what seems to be a double skinned coach roof. Thanks to all for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Dundee View Post
    Had an hour out on the boat this morning and was much as you describe, slightly smokey but not unduly so. Had to smile when I read your warning about the dipstick as this was exactly what happened. I dipped the sump - nothing, not even a smear of oil. After a brief ‘wtf?’ I redipped and lo and behold a nice half way reading.

The upshot is that the boat is bought and plans underway for shipping. Just got to work out how to fit a radar arch to what seems to be a double skinned coach roof. Thanks to all for your input.
    Well done! The wheelhouse roof is double skinned but there is only room to run cables around the edges. There should be some empty trunking in there for the purpose. There are only a few option for bolts if you don't want them to show inside. Where are you based? I'm on the East Coast.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123