Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Volvo 41P

Default Re: Volvo 41P

Quote Originally Posted by Alanij View Post
    I freely admit to not having a clue what the access is like on the smaller 7.60 the OP was asking about.
    I’ll find out tomorrow. From the photos I’ve seen there would appear to be a small hatch in front of the main access hatch which would give access to the water pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Dundee View Post
    I’ll find out tomorrow. From the photos I’ve seen there would appear to be a small hatch in front of the main access hatch which would give access to the water pump.
    Don't let the not so good seawater pump access influence your purchase. If you want better access I can share pictures of the modification I have made to make it easier. Good luck with the viewing.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

I would remove the zinc anode plugs and see if these are ok. The gearbox oil and main heat exchangers are susceptible to dezincification if the zincs aren't maintained and replacements are scarce and uber expensive although it is simple to replace the gearbox oil cooler with an alternative such as Bowman at a fraction of the VP price.

If you do buy it I have a host of manuals for the 40 series engines, just PM me and I will send you the links on Dropbox.
    Last edited by superheat6k; 15-09-19 at 07:24.
    Interested in Corvettes PM me for details of the Corvette Motorboat Association

Quote Originally Posted by superheat6k View Post
    I would remove the zinc anode plugs and see if these are ok. The gearbox oil and main heat exchangers are susceptible to dezincification if the zincs aren't maintained and replacements are scarce and uber expensive although it is simple to replace the gearbox oil cooler with an alternative such as Bowman at a fraction of the VP price.

If you do buy it I have a host of manuals for the 40 series engines, just PM me and I will send you the links on Dropbox.
    The 41P does not have any anodes in the cooling circuit and no problems of dezinc of the heat exchangers. Mine are 20 years old and all good - so far.......

The small hatch at the forward end of the cabin gives good access to the water pump. There is just enough room to get an impeller removal tool between the pump and the aftermost battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    Don't let the not so good seawater pump access influence your purchase. If you want better access I can share pictures of the modification I have made to make it easier. Good luck with the viewing.

Cheers! I'll post results.

Quote Originally Posted by superheat6k View Post

That would be much appreciated, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by alancollins View Post
    The small hatch at the forward end of the cabin gives good access to the water pump. There is just enough room to get an impeller removal tool between the pump and the aftermost battery.
    Good news, cheers.

Had a good look over the boat, all seems good. The engine looks clean, sounds very quiet and sweet and starts on the button without plumes of smoke. It does, however, continue to smoke at tick over when cold. Going out for sea trial tomorrow so hopefully will be ok once warmed up. Oil pressure around 80psi when cold at idle which seems a bit high. Any thoughts on a smokey cold idle?

Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    The 41P does not have any anodes in the cooling circuit and no problems of dezinc of the heat exchangers. Mine are 20 years old and all good - so far.......

My specific experience is the TMD40A and TAMD60C. Does the gearbox cooler not have anodes either on the TAMD41P ?
    Interested in Corvettes PM me for details of the Corvette Motorboat Association

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast