Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default volvo ready mixed coolant

Hi - I am just checking if I have this correct.
    Do I need 20 litres of Volvo ready mixed green coolant to do my kad 300 engine?
    if so who apart from Volvo can supply it as I have tried google but only showing 5ltr ready mixed.

any help appreciated
    Jon

Default Re: volvo ready mixed coolant

Volvo trucks perhaps ? Check actual spec offered
    VP used to do undiluted but if you look at the protection offered on the premix there may still be some room for further dilution
    Last edited by scottie; 11-09-19 at 17:42. Reason: Rewriting of post

I have been through this so learn from my mistake. I have D6-350s and each engines takes approximately 4.4 gallons or 16.5 liters. The Volvo Green read-mix coolant is only rated to -11 degrees Fahrenheit. I live in Minnesota and so needed better freeze protection.

Of course I didn't realize this at the time of my coolant change and ended up doing it a second time. I ended up replacing it with Valvoline Zerex Original Green ready-mix (ZXRU1) which is good to -35 degrees Fahrenheit.

Quote Originally Posted by Advantage View Post
    I have been through this so learn from my mistake. I have D6-350s and each engines takes approximately 4.4 gallons or 16.5 liters. The Volvo Green read-mix coolant is only rated to -11 degrees Fahrenheit. I live in Minnesota and so needed better freeze protection.

Of course I didn't realize this at the time of my coolant change and ended up doing it a second time. I ended up replacing it with Valvoline Zerex Original Green ready-mix (ZXRU1) which is good to -35 degrees Fahrenheit.
    It’s easy when you live in the Gulf Stream to forget about other environments that need a saw to go fishing in winter!

Out of curiosity what is different about the Volvo mix, is it as simple as an anti freeze additive ?

I doubt Volvo make antifreeze.
    Last time I enquired their ready-mix wasn’t as ridiculously over priced as many of their other service products .

it may well be cheaper to buy concentrated ethylene glycol antifreeze and dilute with water . The colour may be blue rather than green.

Personally, I would stick with the ready-mix to avoid any dilution issues; besides, get that wrong and you could have overheating issues or freeze protection problems. That's just me as it's easy peace of mind. The Valvoline Zerex Original Green ready-mix (ZXRU1) meet or exceeds all the specifications for our engines just as the Volvo coolant does.

But, if you don't need the extreme freeze protection like I did, I would stick with the Volvo coolant.
    Last edited by Advantage; 12-09-19 at 12:50.

Quote Originally Posted by scottie View Post
    It’s easy when you live in the Gulf Stream to forget about other environments that need a saw to go fishing in winter!
    LOL. It won't be long before we are ice fishing....(need to move far away from here).

I have a KAD 300 and here is what I do:

a) Undo the inlet hose at the impeller house (The hose from the inlet of the outdrive).
    b) Grap a 20 liter bucket and connect a hose from the bucket to the impeller house. Add water to the bucket and start the engine. Continue to fill the bucket as it lowers … let the engine suck plain water for 5-10 minutes to rinse out. Stop the engine.
    c) Mix 5liters of VP coolant part number 22567206 with 5 liter of plain water in the bucket. Now start the engine again… When you see the blue coolant mix coming out of the outdrive stop the engine and you will realize all (except from very little) is sucked up.
    d) Now you grap the inlet hose (that you originally disconnected from the impeller house). Blow back out as much as you can to flush out trapped raw water. Then you pour the balance from the bucket into the hose and let it run out through the inlet in the drive.
    e) Done.
    The engine is then good for -30-35. It works well in Denmark :-)

I always use the Volvo coolant as they claim they added some additives that is good to their engines. It is not that costly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast