Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: volvo ready mixed coolant

Quote Originally Posted by About Time View Post
    I have a KAD 300 and here is what I do:

a) Undo the inlet hose at the impeller house (The hose from the inlet of the outdrive).
    b) Grap a 20 liter bucket and connect a hose from the bucket to the impeller house. Add water to the bucket and start the engine. Continue to fill the bucket as it lowers … let the engine suck plain water for 5-10 minutes to rinse out. Stop the engine.
    c) Mix 5liters of VP coolant part number 22567206 with 5 liter of plain water in the bucket. Now start the engine again… When you see the blue coolant mix coming out of the outdrive stop the engine and you will realize all (except from very little) is sucked up.
    d) Now you grap the inlet hose (that you originally disconnected from the impeller house). Blow back out as much as you can to flush out trapped raw water. Then you pour the balance from the bucket into the hose and let it run out through the inlet in the drive.
    e) Done.
    The engine is then good for -30-35. It works well in Denmark :-)

I always use the Volvo coolant as they claim they added some additives that is good to their engines. It is not that costly.
    You’ve described winterisation of the sea water side there, not a coolant change.

As soon as you start the engine next time, all that coolant In the sea water side will be in the sea. Is that what you meant?

Sorry - I was too quick. You are so right FARSCO. I read the guy needed help to winterize.

I understand that the Volvo coolant also has a rust inhibitor to help protect the piston liners from rusting

Quote Originally Posted by stelican View Post
    I understand that the Volvo coolant also has a rust inhibitor to help protect the piston liners from rusting
    are you saying the piston liners come into contact with coolant

Quote Originally Posted by seastoke View Post
    are you saying the piston liners come into contact with coolant
    He probably means o ring or seal at the bottom when the liners are pressed in .
    Some coolants if not changed regularly with the OEM spec can lead to premature leakage of that bottom of the liner / water jacket seal .
    So in another thread VP D6 and D4 blocks are mentioned as “ throw way “ because they don’t have pressed in liners .
    They also aren’t obviously sensitive to the liner seal failure .
    So in terms of durability in the real world .........who’s got it right ?

Some Cummins engines are prone to liner seal failure caused by not changing the coolant frequently enough, it does indeed go stale over time .

It is not unknown for pitting of the liner to become evident on the bore wall on older engines without the correct inhibitor/ coolant

Quote Originally Posted by stelican View Post
    It is not unknown for pitting of the liner to become evident on the bore wall on older engines without the correct inhibitor/ coolant
    Yep .
    Corrosion .
    Ultrasonic events causing pitting .
    And deterioration of the seals .
    For people wondering what we are on about .......wet liners .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3jlgyTFYjmA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12