Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Solo cruising - am I being realistic?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    What of those aids I mentioned do you feel that you can comfortably be without on a long solo passage?
    What length of passages do you do solo?

I would say that for the odd passage of less than 24 hrs where you can rely on a decent weather forecast the only thing you really need is a reliable autohelm but to do longer passages to destinations previously unvisited, with the aids I listed any angst diminishes and the feeling of well being correspondingly rises, making for a much more relaxed passage.
    . Done a few 600 miles solo. I think nothing of a 100 miles whether in my 21 footer or my 38 footer. Self steering is essential, but sail to tiller steering is quite effective. The rest are toys (and nice toys, I do like them!), but in no way essential. How else did people sail before fancy electronics?

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Alternatively, give it a go and be prepared to abort en route if OP or boat fall short of the task. One thing's for sure, berthing costs aren't going to rise once he's left the Hamble.
    "Giving it a go, being prepared to abort en route" is a viable option along the south coast, but becomes increasingly dangerous as you approach and pass Lands End. There are lots of safe harbours, marinas and accessible anchorages between Dover and Dartmouth, but they begin to get fewer and further spaced as you turn round the end and start heading north. An inexperienced sailor in a small boat can easily get into trouble and be several hours from a safe stopping place. It's only a few years since Mary Unwin tried that passage and her body has never been found.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I'm planning an anticlockwise circumnavigation of the British Isle, with a wee hop up to the Faroe Isles, including several long hops, Plymouth - Ramsgate, Ramsgate - Edinburgh, Edinburgh - Faroe before enjoying the trip south at a slower place and taking in several distilleries. I am letting friends and relations know my plans and they are welcome to step on and off the boat at any port of call.

Fundamentally, the boat is being setup for single handed sailing, including a Hydrovane self steerer. For me the key to the whole voyage is preparation of the boat and, more importantly me, I have plans next summer of doing several single handed trips starting with short day sails through to non stop multi-day trips.

Make sure you have an insurance company that allow multi-day single handed sailing and talk to them about what you are planning to do. "Y" have a time limit of 18 hours (there are times I can't get from Plymouth to Roscoff in that time). Another issue I found was most insurance companies limit you to 12 miles offshore unless "on passage"; crossing Lyme Bay is OK as long as you are heading from Dartmouth to Portland, but just going to look at the Channel Light Vessel is not, unless you have an agreed limit, e.g. 40 miles offshore.
    Surely not expecting to go Plymouth to Ramsgate in one hop without sleep?

Quote Originally Posted by mbroom View Post
    Iíve been doing it wrong all these years!
    Is "risk assessment", a covoluted way of saying "I just have a quick look around"?

Read this recently, has lots of tips and videos for single handed stuff. I only sail my armchair currently, so not sure how useful they are in practice https://www.amazon.ae/Stress-Free-Sa...uckduckgo-d-20
    Last edited by ryanroberts; 13-09-19 at 14:01.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
    Surely not expecting to go Plymouth to Ramsgate in one hop without sleep?
    In his book "Single Handed Sailing" Frank Mulville recommends dexedrine

One of the tech industry's many slightly dubious elements is the use of Modafinil, mostly to increase focus but it is prescribed as a treatment for narcolepsy. I have found it useful at times, especially for 24/48 hour programming competitions. It's readily available in UK as a grey market import, but scheduled in the US.

[QUOTE=graham;6907674]
    Quote Originally Posted by ross84 View Post
    Thanks all!

Solent to Liverpool would be regarded as quite a challenging passage for an experienced yachtsman with a crew.

There are long bits of it with no safe harbours to head for several headlands with critical tide times for passing safely.

It's not impossible but not sensible for a novice in an unfamiliar boat singlehanded In my opinion.

I bet there's a great boat for sale in Liverpool right now that would suit you and allow a more gentle learning curve.
    "challenging passage for an experienced yachtsman with a crew".

Why?
    Its simply a longer trip than the usual, so split it up into manageable parts, don't get stressed by looking at it as a whole. Remember, the way to eat an elephant, is bit by bit.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
    Is "risk assessment", a covoluted way of saying "I just have a quick look around"?
    I was a safety officer for a few years when I had a proper job. I really hate risk assessments! Most of them were common sense and provided useless idiots (like me..) with employment on total BS matters.

Quote Originally Posted by mbroom View Post
    I’ve been doing it wrong all these years!
    Me too
    A radar, plotter and AIS are essential? I wish I'd known that before..

To the OP, you should get some practice in before the passage, or get a boat closer to home, as said above, good luck.
    Last edited by Ohlin Karcher; 13-09-19 at 16:16.
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast