Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Solo cruising - am I being realistic?

Quote Originally Posted by ross84 View Post
    Thanks all!

I'd like to keep the boat in Liverpool (which I understand isn't the best area for cruising because of the mersey).
    No it really isn’t. I had my boat there for a while. The yard is friendly and helpful but the marina is a bit... average in many respects. Location is excellent though for the city and relatively quiet to live aboard. My business is still in Liverpool and I’m up there every so often so I’d be happy to lend and hand or give advice if you get there and I’m about.

If you’re not living aboard perhaps consider Holyhead for better sailing. That hop from Liverpool to Isle of Mann had be savage and a maze of wind farms. Entering the channel to the estuary at low tide with ships coming and going is very tight.

Anyway good luck. 80% of sailing is the will to succeed and learn. If you have that then most of it will fall into place and you gain experience very quickly and have a blast along the way!

P.s you’ll quickly get bigger boat syndrome... so bare that in mind when you choose your first boat!

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay.

PM sent
    Kay Sarah Sarah
    5751.42' N 529.44' W

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    Oh my goodness! I've been doing it wrong all these years!
    Quote Originally Posted by mbroom View Post
    Ive been doing it wrong all these years!
    What of those aids I mentioned do you feel that you can comfortably be without on a long solo passage?
    What length of passages do you do solo?

I would say that for the odd passage of less than 24 hrs where you can rely on a decent weather forecast the only thing you really need is a reliable autohelm but to do longer passages to destinations previously unvisited, with the aids I listed any angst diminishes and the feeling of well being correspondingly rises, making for a much more relaxed passage.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    Hello ross. All of the stuff you mention could be done but I think you might enjoy it more and potentially take less knocks if:

- You bought a boat nearer your intended base (where prices might be more modest anyway) or arranged the delivery with experienced crew who could help you build on your existing skills.

- You spent all of the first season around your home base, take a month in a marina and go out a lot, take some significant time on a swinging mooring or a trot. There would be plenty of scope for longer trips without setting off around Ireland where you could well run out of time. As mentioned, six weeks can disappear faster than anticipated.
    By season two you would then be much better placed to decide the way forward.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-1 View Post
    This.
    Alternatively, give it a go and be prepared to abort en route if OP or boat fall short of the task. One thing's for sure, berthing costs aren't going to rise once he's left the Hamble.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Returned to South Coast from West Coast of Scotland.

Simple advice.........Don't run before you can walk!

If solo coastal sailing 18 hours is really about the maximum that can be done for most people and even then you will probably need a day or two to recover before doing it again.

Offshore it is different, sleep is taken in short snatches. Sleep for 20 mins, wake up and have a quick look around and then back to sleep for 20 mins, repeat. Good advice given in this thread. Buy boat locally or have help to deliver it or have it shipped to your home Marina unless you are a out and out adventurer.

Me too.......
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    Sailing solo on long passages your absolute minimum of electronic aids will be an extremely reliable Autopilot, a Chart Plotter, AIS and RADAR
    What of those aids I mentioned do you feel that you can comfortably be without on a long solo passage?
    What length of passages do you do solo?
    I think there is a very big difference between 'absolute minimum' and 'can comfortably be without on a long passage'.

There are plenty of famous examples of people doing very extensive single-handing without an autohelm, but I think it is near essential for modern conditions and expectations.

I've done a lot of single-handing since early 1990s (previously only sailed with others). My first boat had none of the kit you mention (and no 12v to power it). Inevitably the lack of an autohelm almost ruled out very long passages, exacerbated by that particular boat's inability to hold a course without rudder input, but I still managed to cruise extensively the length of the south Devon coast. My next boat had an autohelm, but none of the other things and I did passages in up to around 36 hours, including Devon to Scillies, Brittany, etc. One vital bit of kit for such trips, nobody has yet mentioned, was a kitchen timer to wake me every few minutes towards the end of the trip.

I did eventually get a hand-held GPS (showing only Lat/Long), but it ate batteries, so I would only usually turn it on to check where I was approaching the coast after a channel crossing, and maybe once or twice on the way over, otherwise all nav was by chart in a holder on my knee (with key lights' characteristics pencilled on the cockpit fwd bulkhead).

I then had to sell that boat and revert to another with no 12v, so no long passages, but cruised extensively around first Devon and then Solent/Poole etc. (always the smallest boat in the anchorage!).

Next boat had autohelm only at first (and was also more often sailed with a crew). After a couple of years I got a plotter, about 15 years into my single-handing career, and maybe 5 years after that an AIS receiver (great for channel etc. crossings, but otherwise mainly of curiosity value).

I've never had radar, and can't imagine ever having the money for it.

I would say that for the odd passage of less than 24 hrs where you can rely on a decent weather forecast the only thing you really need is a reliable autohelm but to do longer passages to destinations previously unvisited, with the aids I listed any angst diminishes and the feeling of well being correspondingly rises, making for a much more relaxed passage.
    I agree re autohelm (or wind-vane).

I agree that the other things will all make life easier and reduce stress. I disagree they are 'an absolute minimum'.
    Last edited by LittleSister; 13-09-19 at 12:57.

A little light reading..

https://www.sfbaysss.org/main/resources/

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast