Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay.

Default Re: Solo cruising - am I being realistic?

Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    "Giving it a go, being prepared to abort en route" is a viable option along the south coast, but becomes increasingly dangerous as you approach and pass Lands End. There are lots of safe harbours, marinas and accessible anchorages between Dover and Dartmouth, but they begin to get fewer and further spaced as you turn round the end and start heading north. An inexperienced sailor in a small boat can easily get into trouble and be several hours from a safe stopping place. It's only a few years since Mary Unwin tried that passage and her body has never been found.
    I did Padstow to Newlyn (S/H) in a rather unforgiving northwesterly.
    With a fin-keel it was go on or turn back once I was past Trevose Head and clear of Quies Rocks. I felt very vulnerable, knowing it was turn back to Padstow with not enough water to get back in, or hope Land's End passage was to be kind.
    4m-5m swell down the north Cornish Coast.
    It was a very long, very anxious morning before clearing past Pendeen and finding conditions were easing to near perfect.

I was very,very lucky that day. I wouldn't count on being so lucky again.
    Kay Sarah Sarah
    57°51.42' N 5°29.44' W

Quote Originally Posted by ross84 View Post
    I've got some time off from work and will do a fast-track course
    Still interested to know whether the OP means a fast track yachtmaster course (or if not what kind of course)

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    Me too
    A radar, plotter and AIS are essential? I wish I'd known that before...
    OK, maybe I overstated it, I used to sail with just A/H and RDF, then got DECCA which made life much easier and less stressful, then I got caught off Cap de la Hague going South in thick fog. No chance of turning back with 1GM 7HP engine, the DECCA saw me through to St PP but it was extremely stressful so I decided that RADAR would be a good thing to have, so when I changed my boat from 22 to 33ft it was high on the list of things to fit. Technology moved on, Selective Availability was ditched so GPS became reliable then Chart Plotters became affordable especially when you compare the cost of charts to an equivalent coverage cartridge then AIS became affordable, whats not to like? No more guestimating if a ship is going to run you down or change course. Result - stress free sailing.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Download this free book, it's absolutely fantastic: https://www.sfbaysss.org/resource/do...rdEdition2.pdf

Yes it is! Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Muse View Post
    Download this free book, it's absolutely fantastic: https://www.sfbaysss.org/resource/do...rdEdition2.pdf
    Yes indeed!
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Muse View Post
    Indeed it is
    And the author, such humility
    But a must have for any single hander, loads in there.

Live aboard the boat- New Zealand at present

You might be interested in this account of my solo trip from the Solent to North Wales undertaken when I first bought my current boat.
    http://www.mountainadventures.co.uk/...may-23rd-25th/
    and there is an earlier account of my circumnavigation of Ireland in and earlier boat
    http://www.mountainadventures.co.uk/.../roundire.html
    You might pick up some time from these accounts
    I am currently cruising singlehanded in Vanuatu in the South Pacific
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    OK, maybe I overstated it, I used to sail with just A/H and RDF, then got DECCA which made life much easier and less stressful, then I got caught off Cap de la Hague going South in thick fog. No chance of turning back with 1GM 7HP engine, the DECCA saw me through to St PP but it was extremely stressful so I decided that RADAR would be a good thing to have, so when I changed my boat from 22 to 33ft it was high on the list of things to fit. Technology moved on, Selective Availability was ditched so GPS became reliable then Chart Plotters became affordable especially when you compare the cost of charts to an equivalent coverage cartridge then AIS became affordable, whats not to like? No more guestimating if a ship is going to run you down or change course. Result - stress free sailing.
    There's a degree of risk in everything we do. Some people enjoy the buzz that comes from extreme danger and others, like me, are pretty risk averse - you choose your lifestyle and activities to match your risk appetite. Men have been crossing oceans for a long time - long before the invention of GPS and radar - even long before the invention of chronometers and sextants which allowed them to know their location even to the accuracy of a few tens of miles. The thing is that quite a lot of them died doing it!

Personally speaking, I go sailing for the pleasure of moving in a relaxed manner driven by the wind. I'm not looking for the buzz of risk, and I would not consider crossing oceans. I want my boat fully loaded with technology to minimise risk. Others may take a different attitude, though I'm willing to bet that the majority of those here that decry technology are not actually far less risk averse than me - they just don't think it will happen to them!

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by maby View Post
    There's a degree of risk in everything we do. Some people enjoy the buzz that comes from extreme danger and others, like me, are pretty risk averse - you choose your lifestyle and activities to match your risk appetite. Men have been crossing oceans for a long time - long before the invention of GPS and radar - even long before the invention of chronometers and sextants which allowed them to know their location even to the accuracy of a few tens of miles. The thing is that quite a lot of them died doing it!

Personally speaking, I go sailing for the pleasure of moving in a relaxed manner driven by the wind. I'm not looking for the buzz of risk, and I would not consider crossing oceans. I want my boat fully loaded with technology to minimise risk. Others may take a different attitude, though I'm willing to bet that the majority of those here that decry technology are not actually far less risk averse than me - they just don't think it will happen to them!
    Good point(s).
    I agree with your commonsense attitude, and would add that on anything other than a "Sunday afternoon sail around the bay" I would make full use of my plotter, AIS (no radar on Khamsin), echo sounder, log, VHF and a hand-held Garmin GPS device.
    But for fun, and good-practice I hourly update my chart with dead-reckoning checked by GPS read-out and plotter positioning - just in case
    Kay Sarah Sarah
    57°51.42' N 5°29.44' W

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast