Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Volvo MD22 Ignition Warning Light.

With the engine OFF, I inadvertently left the Ignition Switch in the 'Operating Position' (Position 1) on my Volvo MD22P. After several hours, I was alerted to this situation by the flashing of one of the alternator warning lights and the sounding of the warning horn.
    I started the engine and checked the output of both alternators which were normal. I measured about 60 amp initial output each, with domestic battery at 12.5 volts).I have standard Volvo spec Valeo Alternators) However, the warning light and horn are triggered whenever the engine is started.
    Could I have burned out a Diode, however,I am confused by the fact that both Start and Domestic Batteries are being correctly charged.
    Thoughts and advice needed.
    Thanks.

Default Re: Volvo MD22 Ignition Warning Light.

Does the warning light stay on once the engine is running (and the batteries are being charged)?
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Nothing to worry about I suspect, so long as the warning is going off when the engine is running.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshythe View Post
    With the engine OFF, I inadvertently left the Ignition Switch in the 'Operating Position' (Position 1) on my Volvo MD22P. After several hours, I was alerted to this situation by the flashing of one of the alternator warning lights and the sounding of the warning horn.
    I started the engine and checked the output of both alternators which were normal. I measured about 60 amp initial output each, with domestic battery at 12.5 volts).I have standard Volvo spec Valeo Alternators) However, the warning light and horn are triggered whenever the engine is started.
    Could I have burned out a Diode, however,I am confused by the fact that both Start and Domestic Batteries are being correctly charged.
    Thoughts and advice needed.
    Thanks.
    Need to know whether the light and horn sounding once engine is running

Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Wright View Post
    Does the warning light stay on once the engine is running (and the batteries are being charged)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobc View Post
    Nothing to worry about I suspect, so long as the warning is going off when the engine is running.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
    Need to know whether the light and horn sounding once engine is running
    As asked by Graham, Bobc and Skipper Stu

Also does the horn sound without pressing the alarm test button when the engine is first switched on.

Attached is a simplified diagram of the electronic module ( posted a while back by another forumite ) which may aid diagnosis .

If the electronic module cannot be serviced it's about £300 to replace!

VP electronic module.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    If the electronic module cannot be serviced it's about £300 to replace!
    What??????!!!!
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

If you pay the £20 to join the Moody Owners they have a circuit and instructions to make a replacement using a few £ of components. Other circuit sources are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Wright View Post
    Yes, The warning light and horn stay ON whenever the engine is running. However, I can cancel the horn by pressing the Test button, but not the warning light.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshythe View Post
    I started the engine and checked the output of both alternators which were normal. I measured about 60 amp initial output each, with domestic battery at 12.5 volts).
    60 A output while reading a voltage of 12.5 does not seem quite normal to me. Did you take a voltage reading before the engine was started?

Yes that is correct, 60 A from each alternator, total 120A initially As soon as the voltage rises the current reduces, my float charge is around 13.6v.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast