Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Volvo MD22 Ignition Warning Light.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshythe View Post
    Yes that is correct, 60 A from each alternator, total 120A initially As soon as the voltage rises the current reduces, my float charge is around 13.6v.
    The voltage readings mentioned, 12.5 and 13.6, both appear as quite low, in my view. Are they taken at engine tick over, perhaps? I would have expected voltage readings at well over 14V during charging, unless both batteries were well depleted.
    Also, as you mention float, is there some advanced voltage regulator being used?
    I only ask these questions because of the statement in the first post that both batteries are being correctly charged.

Yes that is correct, 60 A from each alternator, total 120A initially As soon as the voltage rises the current reduces, my float charge is around 13.6v.
    Have you confirmed that both alternators still regulate properly as the batteries become fully charged and don't continue to output a high voltage and high current ............Just seeking to eliminate the possibility that one of the regulators has been damaged

Quote Originally Posted by BabaYaga View Post
    The voltage readings mentioned, 12.5 and 13.6, both appear as quite low, in my view. Are they taken at engine tick over, perhaps? I would have expected voltage readings at well over 14V during charging, unless both batteries were well depleted.
    Also, as you mention float, is there some advanced voltage regulator being used?
    I only ask these questions because of the statement in the first post that both batteries are being correctly charged.
    I have an Adverc regulator, this gives me a bulk charge of 14.6V which reduces to 13.6 volts when the batteries are fully charged. I have tried disconnecting the Adverc, and running the engine with just the orriginal Valeo regulators. This gives me a slower charge rate with a maximum voltage of about 14.0V. All voltages quoted are with the engine at about 1500RPM, not at idle.

I have tried disconnecting the Adverc, and running the engine with just the orriginal Valeo regulators. This gives me a slower charge rate with a maximum voltage of about 14.0V. All voltages quoted are with the engine at about 1500RPM, not at idle.
    I understand this as the problem (warning light on, buzzer sounding) persisting, even when the Adverc is disconnected, presumably by pulling the plug at the black box?
    The only explanation I can think of is some fault in the Advert wiring, which creates a connection between the warning light wire to a negative wire or else to ground.

With the engine OFF, I inadvertently left the Ignition Switch in the 'Operating Position' (Position 1) on my Volvo MD22P. After several hours, I was alerted to this situation by the flashing of one of the alternator warning lights and the sounding of the warning horn.
    I started the engine and checked the output of both alternators which were normal. I measured about 60 amp initial output each, with domestic battery at 12.5 volts).I have standard Volvo spec Valeo Alternators) However, the warning light and horn are triggered whenever the engine is started.
    Could I have burned out a Diode, however,I am confused by the fact that both Start and Domestic Batteries are being correctly charged.
    Thoughts and advice needed.
    Thanks.
    Sorry, too many imponderables for me to diagnose remotely! However I would go back to basics, disconnect each alternator and external regulators, disconnect the panel, run a simple excitation wire to the alternator area and test each one separately by exciting the original regulator with the test wire. See what each one is putting out.
    Simply leaving the ignition on shouldnt have done any damage, I leave mine on sometimes after a long motor to cool the engine room superstructure down with the engine ventilating fan.

Thank you all for your various suggestions, particularly the wiring diagram. I will attempt to diagnose the problem by elimination.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12