Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Has anyone got this book laying around on their bookshelves?

And would mind me either borrowing it for a few weeks or selling it to me (pref not at the vast cost I'm finding it at on amazon!)

Bill Belcher - Self Steering, How to plan and build your own.

In essence I'm skint and I want self steering. Apparently this is the book to have if you're looking to build your own, but it didn't sell a huge number of copies when new and now changes hands for £70 or so. I'd like to find out if I think it's worth the money to me before I shell out the cash. If I think it'll help me build a self steering set up, it'll be worth the money and more, if I don't, then it isnt.

Suppose I could always buy a copy and re-sell it, but a) that's faff and b) I like collecting books, so that'll never happen...

Anyway - if anyone has a copy, please get in touch!

stingo is offline Account Closed (By user's request)

Default Re: Has anyone got this book laying around on their bookshelves?

There's one on ebay.co.uk for £60, plus several other related titles.

Quote Originally Posted by stingo View Post
    There's one on ebay.co.uk for £60, plus several other related titles.
    Thanks Stingo. I hesitate even at £60, although I am assured it is a very good book.

Have a look at this site: http://www.faymarine.com/plansite/fa...e_yacht_pl.htm there is enough info to build your own from it.
    I built a trim tab system for a 34ft gaff ketch from it. Worked fine.

The key is the linkage relationships to get the right responce and not oversteer the boat.
    Last edited by DownWest; 12-09-19 at 16:30.

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

I do have a copy and its is quite good but it's the linkage that is the tricky bit.

I have a horizontal vane with servo pendulum rudder.

I made a copy of the monitor so used a 2:1 ratio bevel gear linkage that most professional use but is the most difficult for an a non professional to make who does not have or access to bevel gear cutting equipment.

What type are you interested in making and I can give you some advice on the construction from Bill Belcher's book.

I am currently modifying mine to add an auxiliary rudder as I have hydraulic steering as most self steering do not work properly with hydraulic steering due to the slippage you get.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

Quote Originally Posted by Rogershaw View Post
    I do have a copy and its is quite good but it's the linkage that is the tricky bit.

I have a horizontal vane with servo pendulum rudder.

I made a copy of the monitor so used a 2:1 ratio bevel gear linkage that most professional use but is the most difficult for an a non professional to make who does not have or access to bevel gear cutting equipment.

What type are you interested in making and I can give you some advice on the construction from Bill Belcher's book.

I am currently modifying mine to add an auxiliary rudder as I have hydraulic steering as most self steering do not work properly with hydraulic steering due to the slippage you get.
    Youve highlighted the exact issue I was expecting to find, and why I am reluctant to shell out £60 or £70 on the book without seeing it first. I've got a Vetus hydraulic wheel (not tiller) steering system which creeps. It doesn't creep quickly, and as I'm not expecting to set the self steering and go to bed for an hour I don't see it being a massive issue - I guess I'll just need to adjust it every hour or so.

BUT the big question is just how possible is it for someone with basic mechanical skills to build something which works well enough not to p*** me off?

Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    Have a look at this site: http://www.faymarine.com/plansite/fa...e_yacht_pl.htm there is enough info to build your own from it.
    I built a trim tab system for a 34ft gaff ketch from it. Worked fine.

The key is the linkage relationships to get the right responce and not oversteer the boat.
    Thanks, that's really useful.

build self steering vanes - Yachting and Boating World

www.ybw.com › Forum › Buying and Selling › Wanted
    Nov 28, 2016 - Has anyone have a book on how to build a self steering wind vane, they no longer need? ... I have an photocopy of Yacht Wind vane Steering by Bill Belcher and Self steering for ... Lots of pics here to help in the design.
    Wind Vane drawings
    8 Jun 2011
    WIND-VANE SELF-STEERING
    8 May 2012
    Plans or kit for wind vane self-steering
    9 Mar 2018
    Drawings for home made servo pendulum?
    28 Jul 2013

I think you have a job ahead of you!!!

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...fC8CD0Q4dUDCAs
    Last edited by coopec; 12-09-19 at 23:47.

I have a Bouvaan on mine, the thing comes in kit form if you want to put the hours into assembling it. You can save a couple of thousand building it yourself

http://www.hollandwindvane.com/self-steering/index.htm

I should add, I have access to a sea feather (on a friend's boat) and whilst I wouldn't be so crass as to copy it (which I think would be very rude given someone has taken time to design, test, perfect and presumably copyright their design), I am sure that observing it in use will allow me to get a good understanding of the way it works (which I'm not sure I'd get from a book).

I'm trying to decide whether this is a worthwhile use of my time this winter, or whether I should postpone until next winter when I will be less busy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast