Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Stopping mainsail tack cringle coming off rams horn?

I just know there’s an obvious way of stopping this annoying occurrence- what ideas have people come up with. I have twin line reefing so ramshorn not used a great deal other than when fully unreefed. I did consider tapping a thread on ramshorn end and putting a nylon nut on, that would do it wouldn’t it?

Default Re: Stopping mainsail tack cringle coming off rams horn?

Use a cable tie pulled really tight on the straight part and cut off so as to form a gate across to the end of the hook. This worked well for us for years before I changed to two line reefing.

An alternative is a small loop of bungy through the cringle that you can hook over the ramshorn.
    Not all who wander are lost

I don't have horns. I just pass a lashing through the cringle and around the boom.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Quote Originally Posted by fredrussell View Post
    I just know there’s an obvious way of stopping this annoying occurrence- what ideas have people come up with. I have twin line reefing so ramshorn not used a great deal other than when fully unreefed. I did consider tapping a thread on ramshorn end and putting a nylon nut on, that would do it wouldn’t it?
    I don't use the ramshorn when fully unreefed as the tack is shackled to the boom but I do have the problem of the cringle falling off the ramshorn when hoisting a reefed sail. I have used a sacrificial elastic band to hold it in place until luff tension takes over.

Rubber door stops are cheap and effective. Best not to leave them parked on the horns when not needed, though, as they lose their grippiness.

I find tensioning the foot stops it falling off.

Quote Originally Posted by fredrussell View Post
    I have twin line reefing so ramshorn not used a great deal other than when fully unreefed.
    This sounds very odd. The point of a ram's horn is to secure the reefing tack cringles. If you have lines doing that job instead then you don't need the ram's horns. The main tack of the sail should be attached permanently, usually with a shackle.

Pete

Bungee with hooks tied round mast - one hook for each horn.

But I’ve recently found I don’t need them by using permanent marker on the halyard at each reefing point then only dropping it a foot or so past the mark - that way there is little slack to flog.

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    This sounds very odd. The point of a ram's horn is to secure the reefing tack cringles. If you have lines doing that job instead then you don't need the ram's horns. The main tack of the sail should be attached permanently, usually with a shackle.

Pete
    Hmm, now I think about it you’re absolutely right - it should be permanently shackled to boom/gooseneck. I think I’ve just forgotten to put the shackle back on when I last bent on the mainsail. I shall investigate- but thanks everyone for their suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    Bungee with hooks tied round mast - one hook for each horn.

But I’ve recently found I don’t need them by using permanent marker on the halyard at each reefing point then only dropping it a foot or so past the mark - that way there is little slack to flog.
    That's what I do - a piece of bungee with a loop on each end, the middle tied to the front of the mast. works well when you need to take reef in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast