Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Stopping mainsail tack cringle coming off rams horn?

As a few others I use some bungee round the reefing horns. The bungee is attached to nearby cleats either side of the mast. Means that I can leave the reef 'in' whilst releasing the tension along the foot when not actually in use.

In "Cruising Under Sail" by Eric Hiscock is a photo of a boom with two snapshackles seized to it at its forward end, one for each reef cringle. It seems like a simple, secure method.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Wader View Post
    I do have the problem of the cringle falling off the ramshorn when hoisting a reefed sail. I have used a sacrificial elastic band to hold it in place until luff tension takes over.
    I don't put the crinkle over the horn, I have a 9'ish inch length of 6mm rope with an eye splice in one end. The spliced end goes through the crinkle and hooks on one horn, the other end is clove hitched onto the other horn.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by fredrussell View Post
    Hmm, now I think about it you’re absolutely right - it should be permanently shackled to boom/gooseneck. I think I’ve just forgotten to put the shackle back on when I last bent on the mainsail. I shall investigate- but thanks everyone for their suggestions.
    If the luff reef line goes down to the deck it will not stop the leech reef line dragging the luff aft as you tension the leech. Therefore, if you hook the cringle to the ramshorn it will stop the luff being drawn aft so that you get a tight foot to the sail.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Thread drift!

In one of my numerous books about old sailing vessels is a drawing showing the rigging of a gaff-rigged vessel (perhaps a pilot cutter). A line secured to a pad eye on deck, leads up to and through the tack cringle and back down to a cleat on deck. This enables the tack to be quickly released when tricing up the mainsail to de-power it; a common practice on such vessels; as can be seen in old pictures.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Quote Originally Posted by James_Calvert View Post
    I find tensioning the foot stops it falling off.
    Tensioning the foot i.e. hardening up the outhaul (or reefing line) usually makes the sail really hard to haul up. I was taught to tighten the halyard first, before tightening up any other control.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit (of Glenans) View Post
    Tensioning the foot i.e. hardening up the outhaul (or reefing line) usually makes the sail really hard to haul up. I was taught to tighten the halyard first, before tightening up any other control.
    I find it easier to tension the foot first and then tighten the halyard. I suppose each to their own way ….

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    If the luff reef line goes down to the deck it will not stop the leech reef line dragging the luff aft as you tension the leech. Therefore, if you hook the cringle to the ramshorn it will stop the luff being drawn aft so that you get a tight foot to the sail.
    Not much point having tack pendants at all if you have to go up and hook on the crinkle. The pendant should go through a fairlead or some other fitting at the gooseneck, which will allow it to provide the horizontal force.

Pete

Same here but I’ve changed that practice as the loose leach makes it far too easy for battens to get caught up in the lazyjacks so now I take most of the slack out of the reefing line by hand , then halyard then winch in the last of the reef.

Tensioning the foot i.e. hardening up the outhaul (or reefing line) usually makes the sail really hard to haul up.
    If the boom is topped up above its normal sailing angle there shouldn’t be any tension in the canvas between the luff and the clew, so it shouldn’t have any effect on the hoisting.

EDIT: To be clear, I’m talking about hoisting the unreefed sail. If reefing, I’d tension the halyard before the clew pendant.

Pete

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast