Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Honda 2.3 carb drain screw stuck

Quote Originally Posted by steve66 View Post
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.....draining the carb from the drain screw doesn't entirely drain the bowl. You have around the same amount if fuel left in as if you run it dry. The only way to drain the carb completely is slacken off the bowl retaining bolt
    Aghhhh! Thanks for the info. I have always admired Honda and to a lesser extent Suzuki with their cars and bikes. However their small outboards (especially Honda) seem to have been designed by a first year apprentice and built with fast rusting bolts. My wife cannot even start the 2.5 hour Suzy.... this is crazy, she can start our Honda lawnmower 5hp even after several months in the garage with zero maintenance. I will run them until the next big problem, then spend my kids inheritance on an electric outboard.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.....draining the carb from the drain screw doesn't entirely drain the bowl. You have around the same amount if fuel left in as if you run it dry. The only way to drain the carb completely is slacken off the bowl retaining bolt
    Steve, if thatís the case why donít I just leave the drain screw untouched? The only reason I tried to shift it was to drain the bowl completely. Would I ever normally have to undo this screw?

Quote Originally Posted by mbroom View Post
    Good suggestion! How can I put a drain tube on my Suzy 2.5 and Honda 2.3 ? I would really like to do this, but cannot see how. Pouring neat petrol into the sea is not exactly environmentally friendly.
    My Suzuki 2.5 has a spigot below the drain screw. I can't remember the size now but it's probably 6mm ID. I just cut a 2 or 3 inch length and pushed it over the spigot. There's a hole in the lower casing right below the spigot which it pokes right through. I don't know about the Honda although the diagrams I've seen appear to show the drain screw at the bottom of the float chamber or very close to it.

Richard
    Last edited by RichardS; 13-09-19 at 16:52.

I never use the drains...I slacken the bowl bokt a couple of turns. You know its completely dry that way. If you do remember to keep a finger on the bowl to hold it in place or you may dislodge the o ring

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    My Suzuki 2.5 has a spigot below the drain screw. I can't remember the size now but it's probably 6mm ID. I just cut a 2 or 3 inch length and pushed it over the spigot. There's a hole in the lower casing right below the spigot which it pokes right through. I don't know about the Honda although the diagrams I've seen appear to show the drain screw at the bottom of the float chamber or very close to it.

Richard
    Thanks for info, mine does not have that, so I just empty the fuel into the sea. Makes a mockery of a lean burn engine (I also drilled out the mixture screw)...Greta would not be happy..,.

I never use the drains...I slacken the bowl bokt a couple of turns. You know its completely dry that way. If you do remember to keep a finger on the bowl to hold it in place or you may dislodge the o ring

Good to know, but why do major manufacturers make life so difficult? They really deserve to lose the market when the likes of torqeedo comes along. I love petrol engines, but the small ones nowadays are really crap. My old2 stroke Yamaha was much better despite being 30 years older.

The screw fits into an elongated nut, which also unscrews allowing you to drop the bowl
    Loosen the bolt and the bowl will drain, its best to take it off anyway at the end of the season because there may often be dirt in there.
    Its also a good opportunity to fit a small in-line fuel filter.

Ah yes - been there done it . The screw just will not come out.

The replacement bowl part number is 16015ZW6G01. They are around £43!
    When you get your new one remove the screw and put some water-proof grease on it and then screw it back in. Before you fit the bowl, cover the outside with the same waterproof grease - otherwise you will be complaining about the bowl being rusty.

As to whether running the engine until the fuel runs out is the same as using the drain screw the definitive answer is no! I have the proof all over my jeans.
    Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Hi Tross, Don't know where you get that price from. Just looked and can see rrp at £36.97 inc VAT. If you have any questions about carb problems read up about ethanol in petrol and the side effects, then think about the costs of manufacture Vs what we want to pay for our convenience.
    Springer

Quote Originally Posted by springer View Post
    Hi Tross, Don't know where you get that price from. Just looked and can see rrp at £36.97 inc VAT. If you have any questions about carb problems read up about ethanol in petrol and the side effects, then think about the costs of manufacture Vs what we want to pay for our convenience.
    Springer
    Or get a new aftermarket one with an improved drain for £15 plus postage

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast