Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Honda 2.3 carb drain screw stuck

The motor is new this year and I canít shift this small screw. I used a screwdriver that fits the slot exactly, but the screw wonít budge. I donít want to damage it. Also the screw looks rusty. Any suggestions? Also, how do you drain the tank? The handbook procedure is unclear.

Default Re: Honda 2.3 carb drain screw stuck

Quote Originally Posted by mick View Post
    The motor is new this year and I can’t shift this small screw. I used a screwdriver that fits the slot exactly, but the screw won’t budge. I don’t want to damage it. Also the screw looks rusty. Any suggestions? Also, how do you drain the tank? The handbook procedure is unclear.
    Can you get some mole grips on it? Or file the edges flat and use an adjustable? Or in extremis one of those impact screwdriver things you wallop wiv an 'ammer. I'd probably avoid using too mush heat, especially from a naked flame like a blowtorch...

Emptying the tank, on my outboard (an old 2 T), I just turn the whole thing upside down. You probably don't want to do that with a 4T lest the oil run out of the sump. Could you use a pump?

Quote Originally Posted by mick View Post
    The motor is new this year and I can’t shift this small screw. I used a screwdriver that fits the slot exactly, but the screw won’t budge. I don’t want to damage it. Also the screw looks rusty. Any suggestions? Also, how do you drain the tank? The handbook procedure is unclear.
    Take it back to the supplier if it is new.

Regards
    Donald

The carb drain screw on my Suzuki also sticks. I've completely removed it and greased it and it seems fine .... but the next time I come to unscrew it, it's tight as hell again and I have to employ maximum screwdriver force to shift it. It takes crosshead screwdriver or a flathead screwdriver and I have to use the flathead 'cos the crosshead is just going to slip.

Richard

I've never drained mine via the drain screw - I just run the engine with the fuel tap off until it stops. I must admit I've not noticed the drain screw... !

Quote Originally Posted by PetiteFleur View Post
    I've never drained mine via the drain screw - I just run the engine with the fuel tap off until it stops. I must admit I've not noticed the drain screw... !
    Its unfortunately another poor honda design. If the brass screw head is intact you can unscrew them with heat.
    I can supply aftermarket bowls with a much improved drain bolt....but as someone else stated if it's new, take it back

Quote Originally Posted by PetiteFleur View Post
    That does not completely drain the carb of fuel, as I found out to my cost last year! The manufacturers put terrible drain screws in, possibly so they can’t be accused of putting polluting hydrocarbons into the sea. Common sense would suggest an easily accessible tap... Both my outboards have no mention of the drain screw in the instruction manual.. despite this being essential if left for long periods on modern petrol.

I had to get my Suzuki 2.5 carb professionally cleaned, and also my chainsaw after leaving them with petrol in for a few months. Total cost would buy a decent chart plotter! Now, I drain religiously, but I am sure that neat fuel straight into the sea is not quite what the legislators nor Greenpeace wanted. ��

Quote Originally Posted by mbroom View Post
    That does not completely drain the carb of fuel, as I found out to my cost last year! The manufacturers put terrible drain screws in, possibly so they can’t be accused of putting polluting hydrocarbons into the sea. Common sense would suggest an easily accessible tap... Both my outboards have no mention of the drain screw in the instruction manual.. despite this being essential if left for long periods on modern petrol.

I had to get my Suzuki 2.5 carb professionally cleaned, and also my chainsaw after leaving them with petrol in for a few months. Total cost would buy a decent chart plotter! Now, I drain religiously, but I am sure that neat fuel straight into the sea is not quite what the legislators nor Greenpeace wanted. ��
    You're right that running the engine until it stops does not drain the float chamber. However, you can collect the fuel in a suitable container when you open the drain screw and dispose of it properly. I added a short length of fuel pipe to my drain spigot which extends just beyond the lower casing and allows me to drain the fuel into a small bottle.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    You're right that running the engine until it stops does not drain the float chamber. However, you can collect the fuel in a suitable container when you open the drain screw and dispose of it properly. I added a short length of fuel pipe to my drain spigot which extends just beyond the lower casing and allows me to drain the fuel into a small bottle.

Richard
    Good suggestion! How can I put a drain tube on my Suzy 2.5 and Honda 2.3 ? I would really like to do this, but cannot see how. Pouring neat petrol into the sea is not exactly environmentally friendly.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.....draining the carb from the drain screw doesn't entirely drain the bowl. You have around the same amount if fuel left in as if you run it dry. The only way to drain the carb completely is slacken off the bowl retaining bolt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast