Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Who's going to SIBS tomorrow?

I might see you there...

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: Who's going to SIBS tomorrow?

Saturday or Sunday. But I did the big spend (electronics, furler, wind vane, oilies, windlass) last year. This year is autopilot and talking about electric winches...

I'm going
    John Rodriguez Yachts - Cruising & Bluewater Yachts www.jryachts.com

I'm sure it will be lovely. But I'm going to the Algarve and South Spain tomorrow for two weeks because the owners of the Sailing Scool I'm gonna be working for are .........at the Boat Show.

I'm there Saturday.
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

I'll be there on Saturday...

Pete
    International Yacht Delivery.

http://www.halcyonyachts.com/

SIBS proved to be, for me yesterday/Friday, a most pleasant escape from DIY drudgery. It helped, of course, that there was wall-to-wall cloudless sunshine and almost no breeze. The coffee in the meedja centre was fresh and welcome, as were the little croissants. Milling around purposefully were pretti-girlie gaggles of 'event support' meety-greeters - who were mostly easy on the eye - and also little mixes here and there of redundant boaty journalists and ex-PBO editors not quite so easy on the eye and ear.

Sarah Norbury, David Pugh, Rob Melloti, Roz Jones the lynch-pin of the Poole operation, Andrew Simpson, and a host of other supporting characters. It was some form of gathering or rally, in a sense some sort of 'wake' for what had been. Certainly the sense of community, of being in some way the centre of the country's many boaty interest groups, had evaporated. The PBO/Yachting Monthly/World stand, for many years the meeting place for sailing friends from all over the world to sample Marketing Manager Richard Shead's brimming beer cooler, was deserted. No-one there! Once the jolliest corner in the show, where their brass ship's bell was rung each day at four-thirty to open the bar and summon the faithful, they'd put up galvanised barriers on two sides 'to stop people falling over and hurting themselves'. They certainly did that!

Crushed by corporate 'ccountants......

The RYA were there, of course, in their 'once-a-year' multi-thousand euro gazebo-bookshop outside the hotel foyer. Everything shrinkwrapped - even the 'uniforms' in attendance - and their theme was somehow appropriate..... 'See Boating in Virtual Reality'.

The HM Coastguard stand was cheek-by-jowl with the RNLI frontage, bigger every year. Their joint theme is no longer 'Saving Lives At Sea' but a multi-committee 'Prevention of Accidents Anywhere' amorphous message. I spent some time with the Fareham Centre's Aviation Assets Manager-Controller ( 'Operations Officer' in plainspeak ) who confided that if they can prevent just two helo call-outs per annum by the 'prevent message', they'd have saved the cost of their whole 'prevent' budget.... and, by the way, probably a couple of lives, too. "But how do you prove that?" he asked.

The Guinness Tent remains, a pleasant shady corner out of the sun, but was full of feral children.

There were several product launches, of course, and several of them were interesting - not just for the chi-chi sandwiches and faux champagne that yottie journos seem to have for breakfast and lunch ( thank you, Luscious Liz ). Sadly, the famous Raymarine bacon butties have long gone - "Elfin safeti, innit!" muttered one grizzled e-techie from nearby rivals Garmin. "It's the frying pans in the back of the stand that our millennial safety orifices don't like. They don't understand anything other than microwave ovens. So we send out for ours to that caffe down the road from the show. Cheaper...."

There were stalwarts still to be found. The wizened, mischievous and silver-haired Brian Murkin was in his usual spot, demo'ing and selling his Le Tonkinois varnish which now graces spars on the 'Kaskelot', the 'Cutty Sark' and 'Suhaili'..... His Polish ( unpronouncable ) pal opposite still sells his clever plastic-tube fuel pumps, of which I must now have half-a-dozen..... Chris Jeckells, scion of the utterly reliable Wroxham sailmakers..... The irrepressible top Instructor/Examiner John Goode, fresh from telling the RYA where they can stick their wishy-washy watered-down National Training Scheme ( along with a handful of other 'prominenti' such as Saint Tom Cunliffe and John Hart ), spoke of a new international training and certification body he had joined as Chief Examiner. We watched another top instructor/communicator, Stokey Woodhall, give his Powerpoint presentation of traditional navigation tips and tricks to a bemused bunch of about a dozen ( with their coffee and sandwiches, 'overspill' from an eatery opposite ) on The Foredeck soundstage. The RYA were there, too, twice a day with live presentations of boaty subjects such as RYA Virtual Yachting. Says it all, really.

Did I buy stuff? Of course I did. Stuff I don't really need, natch. Including some fresh 'Tonk' varnish....
    Last edited by zoidberg; 14-09-19 at 13:20.

A fine review Zoidberg.
    Stokey Woodall must be getting on these days. I wonder if he still does his courses on ferries?
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

'If you go down to the SIBS today, you're in for a big surprise.....'

You could do worse than position yourself near the RNLI mega-block, as every pretty surf-girl to squeeze into a slinky wetsuit and every honey-blonde to fit into an 'RNLI Lifesaver' uniform is there. Save yourself some leg-work.....

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    SIBS proved to be, for me yesterday/Friday, a most pleasant escape from DIY drudgery. It helped, of course, that there was wall-to-wall cloudless sunshine and almost no breeze. The coffee in the meedja centre was fresh and welcome, as were the little croissants. Milling around purposefully were pretti-girlie gaggles of 'event support' meety-greeters - who were mostly easy on the eye - and also little mixes here and there of redundant boaty journalists and ex-PBO editors not quite so easy on the eye and ear.

Sarah Norbury, David Pugh, Rob Melloti, Roz Jones the lynch-pin of the Poole operation, Andrew Simpson, and a host of other supporting characters. It was some form of gathering or rally, in a sense some sort of 'wake' for what had been. Certainly the sense of community, of being in some way the centre of the country's many boaty interest groups, had evaporated. The PBO/Yachting Monthly/World stand, for many years the meeting place for sailing friends from all over the world to sample Marketing Manager Richard Shead's brimming beer cooler, was deserted. No-one there! Once the jolliest corner in the show, where their brass ship's bell was rung each day at four-thirty to open the bar and summon the faithful, they'd put up galvanised barriers on two sides 'to stop people falling over and hurting themselves'. They certainly did that!

Crushed by corporate 'ccountants......

The RYA were there, of course, in their 'once-a-year' multi-thousand euro gazebo-bookshop outside the hotel foyer. Everything shrinkwrapped - even the 'uniforms' in attendance - and their theme was somehow appropriate..... 'See Boating in Virtual Reality'.

The HM Coastguard stand was cheek-by-jowl with the RNLI frontage, bigger every year. Their joint theme is no longer 'Saving Lives At Sea' but a multi-committee 'Prevention of Accidents Anywhere' amorphous message. I spent some time with the Fareham Centre's Aviation Assets Manager-Controller ( 'Operations Officer' in plainspeak ) who confided that if they can prevent just two helo call-outs per annum by the 'prevent message', they'd have saved the cost of their whole 'prevent' budget.... and, by the way, probably a couple of lives, too. "But how do you prove that?" he asked.

The Guinness Tent remains, a pleasant shady corner out of the sun, but was full of feral children.

There were several product launches, of course, and several of them were interesting - not just for the chi-chi sandwiches and faux champagne that yottie journos seem to have for breakfast and lunch ( thank you, Luscious Liz ). Sadly, the famous Raymarine bacon butties have long gone - "Elfin safeti, innit!" muttered one grizzled e-techie from nearby rivals Garmin. "It's the frying pans in the back of the stand that our millennial safety orifices don't like. They don't understand anything other than microwave ovens. So we send out for ours to that caffe down the road from the show. Cheaper...."

There were stalwarts still to be found. The wizened, mischievous and silver-haired Brian Murkin was in his usual spot, demo'ing and selling his Le Tonkinois varnish which now graces spars on the 'Kaskelot', the 'Cutty Sark' and 'Suhaili'..... His Polish ( unpronouncable ) pal opposite still sells his clever plastic-tube fuel pumps, of which I must now have half-a-dozen..... Chris Jeckells, scion of the utterly reliable Wroxham sailmakers..... The irrepressible top Instructor/Examiner John Goode, fresh from telling the RYA where they can stick their wishy-washy watered-down National Training Scheme ( along with a handful of other 'prominenti' such as Saint Tom Cunliffe and John Hart ), spoke of a new international training and certification body he had joined as Chief Examiner. We watched another top instructor/communicator, Stokey Woodhall, give his Powerpoint presentation of traditional navigation tips and tricks to a bemused bunch of about a dozen ( with their coffee and sandwiches, 'overspill' from an eatery opposite ) on The Foredeck soundstage. The RYA were there, too, twice a day with live presentations of boaty subjects such as RYA Virtual Yachting. Says it all, really.

Did I buy stuff? Of course I did. Stuff I don't really need, natch. Including some fresh 'Tonk' varnish....
    Wow I feel privileged to have been mentioned! (I am RS)

I may well go and take a look but I have not been there for nearly four years now and a lot has changed.

I am still stuck in Cannes, last day tomorrow and a very, very strong sail boat sector there now with its own port. Yes port ...

Long since left media but very happy doing what I am doing with a few more zeros on the end and the boats measured in metres

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast