Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Who's going to SIBS tomorrow?

Very good to hear from you, RS. You know you kept that circus spinning.... and so do we!

And I'm also glad your decision to have a look on t'other side of the horizon is working well for you.

For all the manufactured 'razmatazz', there was an air of the metaphoric tumbleweed blowing down the roadways at West Quay.

Via con dios, or summat....

An enjoyable day yesterday (14th) the sun was shining.

A tad busier than last year, perhaps the sun brought out the crowds, but I had time to speak to potential suppliers at lenght.

Found, eventually I do wish all stands were clearly marked, all the stalls I wanted to speak to and expect a flurry of emails to start the process of the upgrades I am planning.

Fasinating conversation with the UK importers of Rolls Batteries which got me thinking as my plans are for long offshore passages.
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    Very good to hear from you, RS. You know you kept that circus spinning.... and so do we!

And I'm also glad your decision to have a look on t'other side of the horizon is working well for you.

For all the manufactured 'razmatazz', there was an air of the metaphoric tumbleweed blowing down the roadways at West Quay.

Via con dios, or summat....
    Yes I remember RS with fond memories last time I was at SIBS wow 10 years ago now.

He helped SWMBO and I a lot I wandered what happened to him.

Thanks RS for all your help .
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

I'm on the train back now. Quite a nice day out; I bought 20m of polyprop rope at an acceptable but probably not unbeatable price, and nearly bought a new pair of oilskin trousers... I fear I'm not going to be helping the sales figures too much.

Also nice to wander round the pontoons, as ever. For the fourth or fifth year running of my attendance, I didn't buy a boat, but it is always nice to poke around! Rather disappointingly, it appeared that the RYA members' complimentary coffee has been discontinued. I might feel a letter coming on...

Quote Originally Posted by Time Out View Post
    Wow I feel privileged to have been mentioned! (I am RS)

I may well go and take a look but I have not been there for nearly four years now and a lot has changed.

I am still stuck in Cannes, last day tomorrow and a very, very strong sail boat sector there now with its own port. Yes port ...

Long since left media but very happy doing what I am doing with a few more zeros on the end and the boats measured in metres
    As a (albeit small) shareholder in your current employer I hope you are doing as well there. I was at SIBS today and there was a lot of talk about Pip Hare doing the Vendee Globe, mixed feelings there.
    Last edited by Elecglitch; 15-09-19 at 19:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Elecglitch View Post
    As a (albeit small) shareholder in your current employer I hope you are doing as well there. I was at SIBS today and there was a lot of talk about Pip Hare doing the Vendee Globe, mixed feelings there.
    Why mixed feelings? We all set ourselves challenges; mine is full membership of the Ocean Cruising Club in the next three years and I did put money where my mouth was; I joined as an associate member.

I visited Pip's boat and spent about 20 minutes aboard and was impressed with the build. She was busy speaking to others so I did not have the chance to say hello and fair winds. Trying to visualize the size of the main left me with the feeling it would be bigger than anything I would want to handle on my own.
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    'If you go down to the SIBS today, you're in for a big surprise.....'

You could do worse than position yourself near the RNLI mega-block, as every pretty surf-girl to squeeze into a slinky wetsuit and every honey-blonde to fit into an 'RNLI Lifesaver' uniform is there. Save yourself some leg-work.....
    Sadly, this says it all about boating. Partner (non boaty) and I went today. I sold my boat (elderly Med-based Princess) earlier in the year and may be in the market for something smaller to use in the UK. Virtually every stand/boat we stopped at the staff, regardless of gender, engaged my OH in conversation and he was forced to point out that I was the one with the experience/money. He found it hilarious. (In case you haven't guessed, I'm of the female persuasion.)

Nevertheless, the organisation seemed as good as ever, the catering seemed a bit better, but attendance seemed down even for a Monday - staff seemed to talk to each other more than to potential punters and you could get onto any boat.

I met up with some friendly people and looked at some nice yachts... A great day!

Pete
    Last edited by Halcyon Yachts; 17-09-19 at 17:20.
    International Yacht Delivery.

http://www.halcyonyachts.com/

I usually really enjoy your films, but the overuse of the SFX toys is literally making my eyes hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by newtothis View Post
    I usually really enjoy your films, but the overuse of the SFX toys is literally making my eyes hurt.
    OK (I agree) - I'll rework it without the effects.

Pete
    International Yacht Delivery.

http://www.halcyonyachts.com/

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast