Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Who's going to SIBS tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by flaming View Post
    Thanks for the PM. You’re set not to accept them though, so I cannot reply!
    Glad you received it, I wasn't expecting a reply.

SWMBO and I will be there today, any one else?

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    I'm going tomorrow afternoon, if I can wrap up a work meeting in time.
    I've just had four hours there, which was two hours more than I needed and one hour more than I wanted.

Impressions: £27 entrance extortionate, but at least you get a map now. Lots of food, expensive but good. Big motorboat stands and staff conformed to stereotype: Sunseeker for serious money and Russian gangsters, Princess for footballers and lottery winners, Fairline for spivs. Terry-Thomas would definitely have had a Fairline.

Sailing boats are amazingly expensive and amazingly similar now. Catamarans all amazingly ugly. Saw the PBO project boat, which is under completion by a nice charity. Still think it was a rotten choice of project, but good luck to the new people.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Mind you, I introduced myself to the then-editor of PBO beside the Sailfish a couple of years ago and was perversely pleased to see a clear flinch......
    She was - and remains - a gentle and most civilised journalist. Are you quite sure her reaction was not due to your socks and aura....?

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    She was - and remains - a gentle and most civilised journalist. Are you quite sure her reaction was not due to your socks and aura....?
    Sarah Norbury stepped down in 2013 and Dave Selby's Sailfish was at the show in 2016, when David Pugh was the editor. My socks - when I wear any - and my aura are colourful but inoffensive. That leaves only my personality, which is merely colourful, as the culprit.
    Last edited by JumbleDuck; 20-09-19 at 21:01.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

David Pugh also is a gentle and considerate soul, with a smile and a good word for just about everyone. Are you quite sure you're not thinking of one of those grouchy rapscallions from Yachting Monthly?

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    David Pugh also is a gentle and considerate soul, with a smile and a good word for just about everyone. Are you quite sure you're not thinking of one of those grouchy rapscallions from Yachting Monthly?
    I'd didn't say I got a hostile response, just a bit of a wince, and we had a nice chat without any signs of him summoning security. Dave Selby is also a very nice guy indeed.

Perhaps he thought, at first, that you were me....

I'm glad you persuaded him otherwise.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

I’m going tomorrow (last day) with my elder sprog the Warsash-and-CNCo trained Professional Navigator who has not been to a boat show in his life (he’s 23). I sincerely hope not to buy any but will be looking at autopilots and anchors.

Minn do tell us how the anchor hunt went. We ent and found both the ASAP and Yamaha stands helpful.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast