Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

Default Re: Is this blue ensign legal?

Quote Originally Posted by DJE View Post
    Well the wording of the act certainly seems to assume jurisdiction. I wonder if it is giving effect to international regulations.

Enforcement of course is a different matter entirely!
    My understanding is the UK has jurisdiction in international waters but in the territorial waters of any country that country has jurisdiction. In South Africa if a vessel stays in the country more than 6 months it must comply with the South African safety regulations just like I have too.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    This boat has just anchored next to us in a small bay in Croatia. We like it here 'cos the graffiti makes us feel at home.

But the real question is: Is a defaced blue ensign with a circle of EU stars in the middle actually legal tender?

Should I dinghy over and perform a citizens arrest?

Richard
    Personally, I'd be rather more concerned about the message in the graffiti in the background. I cannot make out the second word.

Can you ask them to move, please?
    Ω

Thinking about this further, in the big scheme of things and with the plethora of defaced blue ensign designs about I very much doubt they Croatian authorities will know this is not a correct ensign and I suspect they care even less
    I have seen a number of strange 'ensigns' on boats in Greece and am not aware of any of them being picked up for it

Quote Originally Posted by Sgeir View Post
    Personally, I'd be rather more concerned about the message in the graffiti in the background. I cannot make out the second word.

Can you ask them to move, please?
    The second word is "Cops".

There is a small marina on the other side of the bay which was forcibly closed down a few years ago because it didn't have the correct permissions or something so I wonder whether it is something to do with that?

Richard

Why would anybody want to fly a blue ensign off their boat?? I am eligible because I am a serving officer, but I never would.

Quote Originally Posted by Elecglitch View Post
    Normal service for him.
    I just like winding up the gammons, fairly easy with their narrow world views.

I confess I was wrong about whether UK leisure boat was covered by merchant shipping act when in Croatian waters. I just was fully correct in that it didnt in practice make any impact to the ensign used in the example.

When we leave the EU and Scotland gets independence I will wind up people who nostalgically hark back to the Union Jack while we debate a new flag- plenty of bait to be had there
    A boat is for going places

The most unusual 'ensign' I ever saw was a 'white ensign' defaced with the Man United logo

Quote Originally Posted by 38mess View Post
    Why would anybody want to fly a blue ensign off their boat?? I am eligible because I am a serving officer, but I never would.
    Why not? Genuinely interested.

There can be a tendency for people to make all sorts of assumptions about what ensigns people fly, with the most predominant being that there is some degree of pomposity or arrogance on the part of those who do fly a blue/defaced ensigns - indeed it is referred to in an earlier post in this thread. It is understandable that some people are not interested in or don’t care about our maritime traditions, which is fine, and I know that the are some in yacht clubs who are indeed pompous but as with all generalisations they cannot be applied accurately to everyone. Many moons ago I served in the RN and did my bit - now I am a member of the RNSA and fly their burgee and a blue ensign. I don’t have any pretensions of grandeur nor am I pompous but some make that assumption when they see the bit of blue cloth. Often the friendly greeting and offerings from our beer fridge quickly disabuses them of such notions but it is a curiously British thing that it was in their minds in the first place
    Last edited by Greg2; 14-09-19 at 08:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
    Why not? Genuinely interested.

There can be a tendency for people to make all sorts of assumptions about what ensigns people fly, with the most predominant being that there is some degree of pomposity or arrogance on the part of those who do fly a blue/defaced ensigns - indeed it is referred to in an earlier post in this thread. It is understandable that some people are not interested in or don’t care about our maritime traditions, which is fine, and I know that the are some in yacht clubs who are indeed pompous but as with all generalisations they cannot be applied accurately to everyone. Many moons ago I served in the RN and did my bit - now I am a member of the RNSA and fly their burgee and a blue ensign. I don’t have any pretensions of grandeur nor am I pompous but some make that assumption when they see the bit of blue cloth. Often the friendly greeting and offerings from our beer fridge quickly disabuses them of such notions but it is a curiously British thing that it was in their minds in the first place

Exactly, good for you.

I always feel it was a bit of shame that Blue Ensigns were not reserved for serving and ex service folk. Then we would know where we are.
    We could then have an array of Savoy Opera colours for clubs of merit - or maybe even just the pretentious ones.

Plus of course the wits and jack the lads with their Europe Stars, Scottish Free State and Jolly Roger emblems. I always note them, they serve a useful purpose.

If the blue ensign was reserved for those actively defending our country, I would certainly respect it. To those granted licence via ancient medieval monarchy I just laugh, and if any other nation knew those rules they would fall over giggling
    A boat is for going places

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast