Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Plotter replacement

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGC View Post
    Huh?

Force 6+, choppy sea, slamming pitching and rolling. Hand steering and holding onto a plotter? Not for me.
    Sounds like you need to skill up too.
    ۞

Quote Originally Posted by DJE View Post
    Sounds like you need to skill up too.
    Sounds like you haven't actually been there

Quote Originally Posted by gdallas View Post
    But rubbish in sunlight and sometimes a bit flaky; if for example the waterproof case gets very wet then it can be really hard to use the touch screen.
    An option if using charting SW on an Android tablet that is out of reach or wet is to buy a bluetooth android compatible mouse.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    An option if using charting SW on an Android tablet that is out of reach or wet is to buy a bluetooth android compatible mouse.
    I use one of these with my Windows system at the navstaton. It's not waterproof or rugged. But it works very well, no matter how much the boat bounces around. This particular one seems a bit flimsy although it has been fine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/15347517668...yABEgLItfD_BwE

Anyone got experience of using ONLY tablet nav? Is it really ok, robust, useable, visible?
    Yes. Done 6000 miles over the last 2 years using a 90 quid android tablet with a 20 quid bracket in the cabin (and a 60 quid one for backup) with dirt cheap VMH charts or Navionics. Chart plotters are nice, but for the cost I can have several flights out to Greece and a few meals thrown in!

Interesting. Thank you. So maybe 2 tablets, one iOS and one Android, would give a decent level of redundancy and backup. I have a varnished mahogany cockpit with no permanently mounted instruments. I use a removable washboard which houses compass, sounder, and until recently a little SH plotter (now deceased). So I could have one of the tablets in some sort of housing on the washboard.

Useful food for thought

Interesting. Thank you. So maybe 2 tablets, one iOS and one Android, would give a decent level of redundancy and backup. I have a varnished mahogany cockpit with no permanently mounted instruments. I use a removable washboard which houses compass, sounder, and until recently a little SH plotter (now deceased). So I could have one of the tablets in some sort of housing on the washboard.

Useful food for thought
    Mine is in the cabin, but whatever you do, make sure it has a decent charging system, some tablets are not so good in daylight, so check before you mount it outside, The newer tablets such as iPad Pro will need a 2.4A charger rather than the usual 2.1A ones.

Useful food for thought
    You don't need a modern state of the art tablet to run nav sw, but it does need built in gps. I run OpenCPN on an old android Tab 2.
    It is worth fitting a 12v to usb charger like THIS so you can leave the tablet plugged in.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Navionics on a ten year old tablet has got me from the Isle of Wight to Cadiz so far, with no problems. I also have a Raymarine E7 (and usually, paper) in the cabin but it's just not as good as navionics on a tablet. The interface is clunky, I've only got the Imray raster charts on it because of the staggering cost of the Navionics vector charts.

Regarding cost, you could always by 5 or 6 spares before you get anywhere near the price of a purpose built plotter and there are also water proof ones available. I just keep mine in a splash proof bag and it's been fine. If you get the thing properly clamped then it doesn't need to be fully ruggedised as it won't get whacked.

Main problems, display brightness can be a challenge in bright sunlight and the charging cable can't actually charge it as fast as it discharges when on full brightness. But then it is an old tablet. Look for one with a USB-C connector as it carries more current.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGC View Post
    Huh?

Force 6+, choppy sea, slamming pitching and rolling. Hand steering and holding onto a plotter? Not for me.
    Why do you need constant looks at a plotter - ours is an iPad kept on the chart table and only looked at every now and again

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast