Default Winter mast projects

Over the winter I want to do a few bits around the mast. Ruining power up it for nav lights, fitting masthead wind sensors and a vhf aerial. Currently the boat has none of these. It has a fuse panel and a couple of cabin lights but no power source and looks like a previous owner abandoned the use of electricity on board.

Itís a Pegasus 700 so I envisage dropping the mast using some kind of gin pole arrangement which doesnít appear to be too difficult.

At the foot of the mast there is a taped-over deck mounted socket but when I look at the mast, there is no corresponding hole.

Is there anything I should consider before cutting a hole in the mast ? And what about supporting or protecting the wiring I insert? Is it likely to tangle with the internal running rigging?

Chris

Default Re: Winter mast projects

Worth waiting until the mast comes down. You may be lucky & find that there is a conduit running inside the mast. Modern masts do, but one would not know about older designs
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

If there is no internal conduit, make sure you make arrangements to stop the wires you fit slapping about in the mast (various wheezes available). Otherwise it will drive you insane.

(And I speak from experience. )

Thatís what I want to avoid! A bit more googling and plenty of tips. It seems odd that I have deck fittings and panel switches for the mast lights yet no holes in the mast to feed any wiring!
    Last edited by chris-s; 13-09-19 at 21:00.

Quote Originally Posted by chris-s View Post
    That’s what I want to avoid! A bit more googling and plenty of tips. It seems odd that I have deck fittings and panel switches for the mast lights yet no holes in the mast to feed any wiring!
    Mast been changed at some point?

Well it is up to you but I would avoid electrics on the mast. However I drop and remove the mast on my 6.5 metre every winter. I use side of cabin nav lights and a radio antenna on a post mounted to the stern rail. I can do without wind instruments. So all together saves a lot of hassle re electical problems up the mast. In any case I suggest you limit yourself to radio antenna on mast top with a standby on the stern rail. Steaming light if you ever need it can be hoisted part way up on a halyard. ol'will

Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

Quote Originally Posted by chris-s View Post
    Over the winter I want to do a few bits around the mast. Ruining power up it for nav lights, fitting masthead wind sensors and a vhf aerial.
    Made me chuckle, how you can ruin power up...……...
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

Quote Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
    Made me chuckle, how you can ruin power up...……...
    Trust me, it's easy...
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    If there is no internal conduit, make sure you make arrangements to stop the wires you fit slapping about in the mast (various wheezes available). Otherwise it will drive you insane.

(And I speak from experience. )
    If no conduit, an arrangement of cable ties splayed at 120 degrees to each other, each cut to the internal radius of the mast will keep the wire centred. These sets of cable ties need to be fastened very tight and distributed at suitable intervals, depending on the thickness/stiffness of the wire(s).
    How you get the wire(s) and cable ties into the mast may require ingenuity.
    Keep in mind the halyards and the liklihood of the wires fouling their movement; best to go up the mast and drop a mouse line before taking down.