Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Fairline Squadron 58, Volvo D12-715 evc- experiences?

I am looking at a 2007 model Fairline Squadron 58, with twin Volvo D12 715hp EVC engines, used around 800 hours.

Do any of you have experience with this boat and engine combination?
    I'm particularly thinking about the engines. Are there any known issues, or things to look out for? Reliable engines?
    Any comments are welcome.

Default Re: Fairline Squadron 58, Volvo D12-715 evc- experiences?

Well I had a 2007 S58 but with the D12 800's. The boat in general was excellent - great layout (particularly the flybridge), bombproof hull which flattened most seas! and my D12 800's were very reliable with me putting around 750 hours on them in 7 years with complete confidence and no issues. Not sure whether there was much difference in terms of reliability and/or suitability to the S58 between the D12 715's and the 800's, but I'm sure other people will have a view.

We had a Targa 52 with D12 800 engines, 2008, 350 hours when we bought it,nearly 800 hours when sold 5 years later, total problems , 1 alternator !!!!! ,but also 1 gearbox failure,which i was told is a known problem on 800 hp models but apparently not on 715hp models. Gearbox sorted under warranty. Starboard oil filters a pig ,as was port impeller, but this was on a Targa not a Squadron.

Thank you for the comments!
    I'll keep in mind to check access to the service points on the engines.

Depending on what you are used to, you would struggle to find a great accessibility in any sub-60' planing boat engine room, I'm afraid.
    Imho, FLs aren't among the best in this respect, Sq58 included - brilliant boat in several other respects, but not this one.
    Others are worse, mind - some MUCH worse!
    IIRC, the most annoying thing in the VP powered Sq58 (not sure about the Cat version, but they rare anyway) is the need to remove the saloon floor and the sofa to access the valves for registration.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    ...the most annoying thing in the VP powered Sq58 (not sure about the Cat version, but they rare anyway) is the need to remove the saloon floor and the sofa to access the valves for registration.
    This is definitely worth keeping in mind. But as long as the more frequent/daily used service items, like impellers, fuel and oil filters, and so on, have relative easy access, I guess it is acceptable.

I'm used to a much smaller boat, but with good access all around the VP D6 engine engine. So I am prepaired for more limited access with twin engines in a crowded engine room.

Google " D12 oil pan leaks "

Thanks for the heads up, Portofino! I found several of your comments about the D12 engines, in various other threads.

The D12s in the 58 are a delight to service because there are no outboard fuel tanks , the tanks are in front of each engine.
    I’ve serviced a few including JFM one he had on the south of France , the only service item you cannot carry out is the valve check as the floor is too low to lift off the valve cover , JFM took care to remove the floor and settle which made the job an absolute delight .

Watch out for blocked heat exchanger because they will overheat and under perform , the heat exchanger has to cool the coolant , the coolant also cools the oil cooler and more important the intercooler as that is a closed circuit type plate cooler , they also require the intercooler cleaning on the the air passage side as it blocks up from the turbo oil mist .

As already stated the flywheel couplings break up so look for bits of rubber on the bellhousing .

Thank you, Volvopaul! Much appreciated!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast