Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Fairline Squadron 58, Volvo D12-715 evc- experiences?

I like the squaddie 58 - a classic if ever there was one.
    But the D12 can get expensive with those exhaust elbows.
    I know of two boats with D12s that this season had big bills replacing the exhaust elbows.
    So when surveying a boat with D12s, I would look VERY carefully at the exhaust elbows.
    That said, 12 years ago, we had a boat with D12s and no problems.
    It is just that the D12 design of engine is now getting older so things like exhaust elbows are becoming a problem.
    Easily fixable but worth checking - IMO

Hurricane, thanks for the heads up about the exhaust elbows.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I like the squaddie 58 - a classic if ever there was one.
    But the D12 can get expensive with those exhaust elbows.
    I know of two boats with D12s that this season had big bills replacing the exhaust elbows.
    So when surveying a boat with D12s, I would look VERY carefully at the exhaust elbows.
    That said, 12 years ago, we had a boat with D12s and no problems.
    It is just that the D12 design of engine is now getting older so things like exhaust elbows are becoming a problem.
    Easily fixable but worth checking - IMO
    They are not expensive.

Port side ( big one ) £950 in stainless.

Stbd is 2 elbows. £600 each.

Fitting is straightforward.

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    Yes the bow is normal for sq58. It worked fine in my 6 years of ownership and I can’t see what you are unhappy with!
    I would rotate the cleats 90 deg if I designed it (and they did on sq78) but it’s a tiny point.
    Well, if you would rotate them, and also FL did on other models, then you CAN see what I'm unhappy with, can't you?

Not so irrelevant anyhow, imho.
    Also assuming that both the cleats and the deck supporting them are strong enough to withstand transversal instead of longitudinal lines pull (which obviously isn't how cleats are designed to work, anyhow), in the above layout it would have been more logical to just get rid of the fairleads an replace them directly with the cleats.
    Besides, I can't for the life of me figure how you could use the winch with bow lines, if you wish to.
    Not that I ever did, mind. And IIRC, you also said the same in the past, so I appreciate that this is a bit academic.
    But if the drum is totally impractical to use, better not to fit it at all, I reckon...

PS: btw, the Sq58 is very far from being the only boat with wrong cleat orientation - I've seen others with even worse arrangements, also astern.
    So, it's not something that would make me rule out a boat in itself.
    I'm just surprised that I didn't notice it, having carefully viewed a couple of Sq58 not long ago.
    And also one of yours, coming to think of it, but that was quite some years ago, and back then I didn't look at the boat with a potential purchasing interest.
    Last edited by MapisM; 14-09-19 at 23:06.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Besides, I can't for the life of me figure how you could use the winch with bow lines, if you wish to.
    Didn't notice that until you made me look again at the picture of the bow section.

Has anyone tried using the winch, say with "med mooring?" I guess that could possibly be a challenge?

Don't worry, bow winch is pretty irrelevant for Med mooring.
    My last boat had a rather tricky horizontal winch, meant two handle two anchors, and using the winch drum would have been a nightmare, but I never missed it in 17 years of boating. In my current boat, it would be much easier to use it, but I still don't anyway.

In the Med, the best technique is to secure bow lines by hand, leaving a lot of slack in the stern lines, and then tighten the latter as appropriate.
    In this sense, stern winches are much more useful, though some folks (not me) just use the engines in reverse.
    If while tightening the stern lines you see that the bow lines don't allow you to get as close as you wish to the dock, releasing them a bit is easy peasy (as opposed to tightening them).
    In your home berth, the whole maneuver can be further simplified by putting some coloured tape at the appropriate position on the bow lines.
    This allows you to secure them at the correct distance right away, and then deal with the stern.

Thank you for the clarification, MapisM!

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Don't worry, bow winch is pretty irrelevant for Med mooring.
    I use mine all the time, especially on my home berth - I have 2 lines that stay on the dock with spliced loops that are the perfect length. When mooring, I simply slip these over the cleats then use the bow winch to tighten. Works first time every time with zero adjustment. I tend to use the stern winches when visiting thought, using the method you described

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    I have 2 lines that stay on the dock with spliced loops that are the perfect length
    That's a technique AKA tying the dock to the boat, rather than the other way round!
    'Salright anyway, whatever works for you, M.

The point is, you could still do as you do when visiting also in your home berth (with the added bonus of knowing the bow lines position).
    So, the bow winch might well be an alternative, but not essential - Q.E.D.

I use the s58. Ow winch sometimes. Usually with very long and thick lines. They have so much weight and sag they seem right until you notice the bow wandering.

Soller and club Nautico palma are the two worst offenders as they put not from 10m to 50m on the same berths. In soller once there was a small fairline on on berth and next door a simply vast galeon style sailing boat.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast