Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Fairline Squadron 58, Volvo D12-715 evc- experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    That's a technique AKA tying the dock to the boat, rather than the other way round!
    'Salright anyway, whatever works for you, M.

The point is, you could still do as you do when visiting also in your home berth (with the added bonus of knowing the bow lines position).
    So, the bow winch might well be an alternative, but not essential - Q.E.D.
    Useful? Certainly. Essential? Nope. Essential should be reserved for things like ice makers, dishwashers etc!

I too have used the bow winch as Jrudge, with very heavy lines when visiting.

Mapism the sq58 bow arrangement and winch work fine for med mooring. If you want to pull in the bowline tight using the winch, you can. I owned 2 of these boats for 6+ med seasons and must have med moored (often with the winch) hundreds of times. I pretty much disagree with every sentence of your post #24. But shall we just agree to disagree because a big thread on this would be super-boring and life is too short?

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    I use the s58. Ow winch sometimes.
    Now you are making me curious, J. Along which path are you passing the line to pull it with the winch?
    I mean, unless you can go round the cleat first, before pulling it with the drum (which is what I think you can't do with the above layout), how can you secure the line to the cleat after it's tightened by the winch? Don't you lose the tightening as soon as you unwind the line from the drum?
    Alternatively, I guess you might leave the line on the winch and be done with it, but aside from being something I don't like, it can obviously be done for just one line.

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    I pretty much disagree with every sentence of your post #24. But shall we just agree to disagree because a big thread on this would be super-boring and life is too short?
    Fairenuff, as long as you don't disagree also on the very basic physics behind the fact that cleats are designed to withstand longitudinal load...

I'm also struggling to understand how you can disagree with my very first sentence in that post, but hey-ho, yes, life is definitely too short!

Quote Originally Posted by MedMilo View Post
    Well I had a 2007 S58 but with the D12 800's. The boat in general was excellent - great layout (particularly the flybridge), bombproof hull which flattened most seas! and my D12 800's were very reliable with me putting around 750 hours on them in 7 years with complete confidence and no issues. Not sure whether there was much difference in terms of reliability and/or suitability to the S58 between the D12 715's and the 800's, but I'm sure other people will have a view.
    I bought the aforesaid boat and engine wise it has been absolutely fine. The only issue of any concern was overheating - as mentioned by volvopaul - in both engines above 1700 revs although even below this was running a little high. I acid cleaned the heat exchangers which helped but in the end i removed the heat exchangers and sonically cleaned them which did the trick. So you may want to run the boat and look for this. I actually had a guy from the s58 next door to me as I was in Elba this year come and ask if I had had an overheating issue so I relayed the same thing. i would also go back and look at the waterpumps too which are behind the crew cabin, especially on a 2007. Great boat though with fabulous flybridge and great in rough seas.

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    Mapism the sq58 bow arrangement and winch work fine for med mooring. If you want to pull in the bowline tight using the winch, you can. I owned 2 of these boats for 6+ med seasons and must have med moored (often with the winch) hundreds of times. I pretty much disagree with every sentence of your post #24. But shall we just agree to disagree because a big thread on this would be super-boring and life is too short?
    Totally agree. Really easy to use the winch which i have done many times, sometimes in very strong winds.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
    Totally agree. Really easy to use the winch which i have done many times, sometimes in very strong winds.
    I know I reached an agreement with jfm based on life length, but since you insist:
    Can you explain me how on earth you can pull a bow line with that winch, and once tightened as hell unwind it from the winch drum and lock it on the cleat without losing its tension?
    I already accepted that you can (obviously!) use the winch and leave the line on it once tightened, but that ain't kosher, in my books.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    I know I reached an agreement with jfm based on life length, but since you insist:
    Can you explain me how on earth you can pull a bow line with that winch, and once tightened as hell unwind it from the winch drum and lock it on the cleat without losing its tension?
    I already accepted that you can (obviously!) use the winch and leave the line on it once tightened, but that ain't kosher, in my books.
    definitely not wise to leave it on the drum. I attach a line on the bow line i wish to tighten. below the deck line. Once bow line tightened to where i want it I cleat down the small line which holds the bow line where I want it, cleat down the bow line and as they say Bob's your Uncle! Actually it is even easier than this as actually the small line can be held by someone else while the bow line is released. i have done this while in a fairly big wind ie gusting 30 plus in the marina. Poorly explained but hopefully you get my drift.

I certainly do, and I also agree that your method makes the cleat placement/orientation vs. the fairlead and the winch irrelevant, sort of.
    My (indeed minor) point was that with better placed cleats you can achieve the same result with no need for a second temporary line.

Last post got deleted when I tried to edit, so here we go again:

I have today been told by my local broker that another SQ58 will soon be offered for sale. This one is a 2006 model, with the D12 800hp engines. (I forgot to ask how many hours the engines and genset have, but I'll find out in a few days).

Looked at pictures of the boat, and it looks even prettier and better maintained than the other SQ58 I linked to in a previous post.

Some differences between the 715hp and 800hp boats:
    The 800 has:
    Indoors (heated) winter storage and owner has a boat house over the dock.
    Port guest cabin is a double bed, instead of twin.
    Salon appears better maintained and small improvements in various details.
    New covers/canvas for cockpit and flybridge.
    Installed satellite domes for tv/internet. -This one is not important for me.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast