Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Fairline Squadron 58, Volvo D12-715 evc- experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    I know I reached an agreement with jfm based on life length, but since you insist:
    Can you explain me how on earth you can pull a bow line with that winch, and once tightened as hell unwind it from the winch drum and lock it on the cleat without losing its tension
    I already accepted that you can (obviously!) use the winch and leave the line on it once tightened, but that ain't kosher, in my books.
    mm, you tighten the line on the capstan then put your foot and all your weight on that line just as it exits the fairlead. This grips the line onto an edge in the Grp near the fairlead. Then just cleat the loose end of the line, then remove your foot.
    Same on s78 btw.
    I know lots say it, but I can’t see an engineering reason why leaving a line on a drum causes problems.

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    mm, you tighten the line on the capstan then put your foot and all your weight on that line just as it exits the fairlead. This grips the line onto an edge in the Grp near the fairlead. Then just cleat the loose end of the line, then remove your foot.
    Same on s78 btw.
    I know lots say it, but I can’t see an engineering reason why leaving a line on a drum causes problems.
    I'm not sure that pulling a bow line (or not) would worry me.
    The only time I can think of having to do that would be when stern berthing - in which case, thats what the stern winches are for.

More importantly, I would fit a handheld anchor winch control - from the pic above, I don't think you could see the anchor chain during anchor recovery and still keep your foot on the deck switches.
    Either a handheld switch on a curly wire or a wireless control would allow you to lean over the bow whilst recovering the anchor.
    IMO, recovering from the helm positions isn't a good idea - too much strain on the winch - the boat will always skew away from the direction of the anchor.
    Yes, it is possible but why put your kit under unnecessary strain.
    We always recover our anchor from the foredeck.

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    Same on s78 btw.
    I know lots say it, but I canít see an engineering reason why leaving a line on a drum causes problems.
    Fairenuff, but better your (bare!) foot than mine!

On the engineering point, I'm also unsure of why several winch producers recommend to not do that in their manuals, but as a matter of fact, they do.
    I dislike doing that simply because I prefer to leave the winch available just in case, rather than for any engineering reason.
    All a bit academic anyway - as I said I don't use the bow winch - but that applies to stern winches too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    We always recover our anchor from the foredeck.
    Agreed wholeheartedly M, and also on the rest of your post.
    But you'd better grab your helmet, waiting to be flamed by the AnCam lot!

All the above aside, just to go back to TrondS point: I think you're the only one who can judge those differences between those two boats, after seeing them in flesh.
    But fwiw, I recall to have read here in the asylum that the performance difference between the two engines is practically irrelevant, in the Sq58.
    Surely others with first hand experience will be able to confirm or correct as appropriate.

I will get a chance to see the 800hp boat in about a week. It appears that one is best maintained of the two, based on the info I have received so far.
    And I agree, the performance differences between the 715hp and 800hp boats, is probably minor. That is not the "buy or not buy" factor.

It's a good discussion of the anchoring use/techniques you guys have had in the last posts here. I see that as relevant both for this thread and in general. Thanks!

Bigger engines are usually more useful.

In this case there is only 85hp a side in it.

I have the 715 and it will do 32 kts ( I think from memory I rarely try ) and we find 18-20 knots a nice comfortable speed where people can move about.

Fuel consumption per nm is relatively flat until you get above 28kts or so hence it has noting to do with economy and all to do with a nice ride to the next anchorage.

They are great boats. I am at the airport now Iím the way to mine !

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    In this case there is only 85hp a side in it.
    Nope J, the difference is actually just 60 each.
    Don't ask me why VP labelled as "D12-800" an engine which according to their own specs has a 775hp output, as opposed to the "D12-715" which is indeed a 715hp engine.
    But as a matter of fact, that's what they did.

Btw, they further elevated these marketing tricks to a whole new level when they launched the IPS , but that's another story.

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    They are great boats. I am at the airport now Iím the way to mine !
    Lucky you Have a great time boating!

Btw, what is the fuel consumption when you cruise at about 20 knots, and how about when going slow at about 7-8 knots?

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    But you'd better grab your helmet, waiting to be flamed by the AnCam lot!
    haha, but you have to admid how usefullit the AnCam is on BA
    (especially when recovering the anker in strong wind)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast