Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: What chart card for my Raymarine C90W chart plotter?

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit (of Glenans) View Post
    One takes on PaulRainbow at one's peril
    LOL

Raymarine tried back in 2009, when they launched the C90W. Had one that kept losing GPS data, one of their support staff suggested it was because "they" may have turned the GPS off. That was an interesting conversation, he probably still remembers some of it
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit (of Glenans) View Post
    One takes on PaulRainbow at one's peril
    Hardly, Rainbow hasn't answered my question as to why he thinks Gold Charts are so essential. He merely poo pooed a very practical suggestion to enable the OP to visibly see what chart coverage he had, in favour of an examination of file name on system which is useful for potential chart supplier but otherwise less useful on the water.
    A boat is for going places

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post
    Hardly, Rainbow hasn't answered my question as to why he thinks Gold Charts are so essential. He merely poo pooed a very practical suggestion to enable the OP to visibly see what chart coverage he had, in favour of an examination of file name on system which is useful for potential chart supplier but otherwise less useful on the water.
    See below, i've told you several times that the plotter came with Silver cartography, that cannot be removed. I've also told you that detail is lacking on the charts and that it could be well out of date, anything up to 10 yrs old.

I was fitting them 10 years ago, when they first came out and i had one on my boat in 2009. I felt then that the cartography was not detailed enough and purchased a Platinum card, which came on a CF cartridge, not the SD card you keep talking about.

Not sure how to be any clearer

Quote Originally Posted by jim5099 View Post
    We have a C90W bought new in 2011. The chart was pre-loaded for all of Europe. Are you sure yours is blank ?
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulRainbow View Post
    The C90W came pre-loaded with Navionics Silver cartography.

That said, the plotter may well be up to 8 years old, so you may want to buy up to date charts even if the Silver ones are installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    our e7 came with Navionics Silver (if I recall correctly) for Europe - however, this did not include any detail beyond the 10m contour, and was not updatable without buying the (then) Navionics Gold which was more detailed and covering smaller areas.
    But he does have a chart installed, as i explained in post #12.

the plotter came with pre-installed charts, they cannot be removed. Supplemental charts can be used, they come on CF cartridges, not SD cards.
    Sigh............

The charts cannot be removed.

The charts were never on an SD card, the plotter takes CF cards, regardless, removing any card from the plotter (or the lack of one being there now) makes no difference to the presence of the Silver cartography.

Also, regardless of that, Silver cartography left a lot to be desired. It was lacking in a lot of detail. The OPs plotter may be 8 or so years old, so a chart update would be a good idea anyway, IMO.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post
    As on owner of a similar E90W plotter, and one of the posters earlier ........ I totally agree with Paul Rainbow.

The Navionics Silver preinstalled will be very old now. And certainly on our version lacked any detail outside the 10m contour.
    The OP asked what Charts we would recommend for his plotter and most of us, including PR, have recommended Navionics (various levels but I suggest Navionics Plus, similar to old Gold), which need to be on CF card format for this plotter. Whether the OP wants The U.K. wide area 28XG or a different one covering U.K. South coast and channel depends on preferred cruising area, and can easily be selected by viewing the coverage on Navionics site.

Not quite sure why you seem to want to argue with a very helpful fellow forumite and knowledgeable contributor. If the OP has any further questions on the suggestions I am sure he/she can ask them.

fwiw I asked at the navionics stand at the southampton boat show whether they'd stopped selling CF cards. The chap I spoke to said no and seemed confused as to why I'd even ask. Mind you he did seem to have a rather unusual demeanour.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234