Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: What chart card for my Raymarine C90W chart plotter?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    You need Navionics+ Small chart 5G830S/UK Exmouth to Liverpool: £129.95 inc VAT, Inc Delivery
    https://www.marinechandlery.com/navi...-charts-europeAttachment 80449
    IMHO Small charts are poor value as less than twice the price covers English Channel and much much more, and the OP may want to pop Down Along and round The Land
    A boat is for going places

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post
    I certainly did but added extra concerning Navionics interface re elderly products as a result of a 3 months saga trying to get the selfsame 28XG chart updated. We eventually didn't bother as Cardiff Barrage can be seen and the pillars for the 2nd Severn Crossing are on existing rocks so generally in my avoid-zone. I also clarified another way to better tell if he had any chart installed, which I was pretty sure he didn't. Navionics file names can be cryptic and don't always match map names
    But he does have a chart installed, as i explained in post #12.

You said
    I suspect you have no chart and previous owner took chart and SD card with them.
    That's wrong, the plotter came with pre-installed charts, they cannot be removed. Supplemental charts can be used, they come on CF cartridges, not SD cards.

You also said
    But Chart 28XG is what you want.
    That won't help him whilst he's inland, but would be correct when he moves to tidal waters, if he feels the older Silver cartography isn't good enough (which would be a good idea).
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRainbow View Post
    But he does have a chart installed, as i explained in post #12.
    Many Raymarine chartplotters in the UK market had pre-installed Navionics Silver, but I wonder whether this applied to all markets? The OP said his boat came from the south of France...

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    Many Raymarine chartplotters in the UK market had pre-installed Navionics Silver, but I wonder whether this applied to all markets? The OP said his boat came from the south of France...
    Our boat was first launched in France, and came with the preloaded basic chart on E90W - so suspect it was available European wide, but it may have been an option at time of purchase (as it was with later e-series)

The pre-installed charts will not have coverage for the non-tidal Severn, neither does the 28XG, i don't know of any coastal chart package that does.
    That's okay, I'm moving to the boat to the North Wales coast hence I do feel the need for coverage on the Raymarine.
    Jeanneau Leader 9

That's wrong, the plotter came with pre-installed charts, they cannot be removed.
    I didnt know and indeed am still not convinced they cannot ever be removed. What was wrong in suggesting he check whats there and determine "is" as against "should".

I noted he already said he was moving boat to coast so little need to worry about inland charts; much reason to worry about coastal. IMHO silver charts are fine and that or equivalent are what I use in BC.

I didnt know and indeed am still not convinced they cannot ever be removed. What was wrong in suggesting he check whats there and determine "is" as against "should".

I noted he already said he was moving boat to coast so little need to worry about inland charts; much reason to worry about coastal. IMHO silver charts are fine and that or equivalent are what I use in BC.
    Sigh............

The charts cannot be removed.

But, one last time, you said
    I suspect you have no chart and previous owner took chart and SD card with them
    The charts were never on an SD card, the plotter takes CF cards, regardless, removing any card from the plotter (or the lack of one being there now) makes no difference to the presence of the Silver cartography.

Also, regardless of that, Silver cartography left a lot to be desired. It was lacking in a lot of detail. The OPs plotter may be 8 or so years old, so a chart update would be a good idea anyway, IMO.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Also, regardless of that, Silver cartography left a lot to be desired. It was lacking in a lot of detail. The OPs plotter may be 8 or so years old, so a chart update would be a good idea anyway, IMO.
    Sigh!!
    I will explain. Gold Charts do show more detail and I use them on one of my boats however some detail is rapidly outdated unless you pay annual exhorbitant subscription to Navionics which not all can afford. They never build new rocks, and sandbar depths shift from season to season even after you buy chart, and some capable seamen on this forum still use paper charts from before colour was common.

What detail does gold have that you really advise it or are you just trying to get the OP to spend money at a business such as yours?

What detail does gold have that you really advise it or are you just trying to get the OP to spend money at a business such as yours?
    LOL

My business is not selling chart cards and you're just being on offensive xxxx for suggesting so.

Generally speaking, if i'm installing an electronic system i ask the customer to supply the charts that he requires. That way, the subscription to the chart package is his, nothing to do with me, and i earn absolutely nothing from the charts.

i also earn absolutely nothing from posting here, but my advice regarding the C90W and its pre-installed Silver cartography is 100% accurate. I was fitting them when they were brand new, state of the art
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

LOL

My business is not selling chart cards and you're just being on offensive xxxx for suggesting so.

Generally speaking, if i'm installing an electronic system i ask the customer to supply the charts that he requires. That way, the subscription to the chart package is his, nothing to do with me, and i earn absolutely nothing from the charts.

i also earn absolutely nothing from posting here, but my advice regarding the C90W and its pre-installed Silver cartography is 100% accurate. I was fitting them when they were brand new, state of the art
    One takes on PaulRainbow at one's peril

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast