Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

Exclamation Anchoring ban in Beaulieu River

No more anchoring the lowest reach according to their website citing damage to eel grass.

To compensate they appear to have increased the number of visitors' moorings in that neck of the woods but then increased the price from £10 to £15

https://www.beaulieuriver.co.uk/news...-in-the-river/
    Substance over style

Default Re: Anchoring ban in Beaulieu River

I presume they offer a full English breakfast at that price?

Quote Originally Posted by mbroom View Post
    I presume they offer a full English breakfast at that price?

Absolutely.

And doubtless their new buoys are on eel grass friendly eco moorings.

I thought eelgrass grow in Sand? Looking at fig 5 in

http://publications.naturalengland.o...75315539017728

shows the normal anchorage area as being Mud. I've never seen any eelgrass in that location.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Grebe View Post
    No more anchoring the lowest reach according to their website citing damage to eel grass.

To compensate they appear to have increased the number of visitors' moorings in that neck of the woods but then increased the price from £10 to £15

https://www.beaulieuriver.co.uk/news...-in-the-river/
    With regard to price that doesn't seem to be unreasonable. Tobermory moorings, for example, have been that price for a number of years. As the moorings have taken the best spots in the harbour, anchoraing is now severely limited to first come first served.

Donald

From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

The charge for a standard visitors mooring is around £20, but the one mentioned above have traditionally been discounted as they are a good couple of miles downstream of the centre of the 'action' - the pub!
    Substance over style

Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    With regard to price that doesn't seem to be unreasonable. Tobermory moorings, for example, have been that price for a number of years. As the moorings have taken the best spots in the harbour, anchoraing is now severely limited to first come first served.

Donald
    To me that is a bit of a rip-off. I appreciate the convenience of moorings, but I also enjoy anchoring. Both have their pros and cons. However when mooring buoys take all the anchoring space, then I think of Dick Turpin as there is almost no where else to go.

If the moorings are in demand and have 'replaced' conventional anchoring (for whatever reason) then the next thing they will consider is putting in pontoons - as you can get considerably more boats on them than on swing moorings.

I have never quite understood why marinas were built in the best (and often only) anchoring spots but then cynicism sets in and the answers are more obvious.

Jonathan

The loss of this anchorage is very sad... we spent many years sailing the Solent, and as much as we loved anchoring at Newtown Creek, once the season got going, it was always too crowded for our taste, and Beaulieu was our second favourite as it hardly ever seemed to be too crowded. Really enjoyed that anchorage at HW springs when the sand bar was just awash and you felt you were anchored in the Solent but with untroubled waters, watching the comings and goings of the big ships and tall sail boats.

I'm surprised this thread is not getting more reaction considering the number of Solent users on this forum. But then, perhaps it tells us something about the ratio of those that anchor (who are perhaps in decline?) versus those that prefer a marina or picking up a mooring. Of course, when good anchorages are lost to moorings, it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

The mooring buoy cost, although not ideal. is not the main concern in Beaulieu as you had to pay to anchor anyway... £6 back in 2013 if my memory serves me correct... more last year I assume? So £15 for the mooring is not outrageous. It's about loosing that choice of exactly where you would like to drop your hook and spend the night, loosing that skill on where best to pick your anchoring spot etc. Also, in a storm (we once rode out F9 in Chi Harbour, unruffled) we would always prefer to lie to our own anchor rather than a mooring whose maintenance is unknown.

I suppose the upside of this trend is that 'which anchor' threads on this forum will be a thing of the past within a few years!

I have never found that anchoring spot to be very attractive. Reasons: Slap of wavelets under the stern disturbs sleep, wind against tide issues including swinging room limitations into channel in a north wind, busy with passing traffic, often there at Springs so tide quite strong for manual hauling up of anchor. There again maybe for shallow draft yacht’s it could be better or I should have tried harder to make it work.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast