Default Chichester Harbour and Other Places

Would be interested to know your views on various esturaries and anchorages. I mention Chichester not to single them out, but as a typical example.

So there is no doubt it is a seaway off the sea - so to speak. In geographical terms there are lots of similiar types of waterways sometimes a proper estuary with a river flowing in somewhere, sometimes it is technically a Ria like Salcombe.

Anyway, one way or another, very often someone in the form of a harbour master claims authority and one way or another various charges are levied.

It seems to me where a bouy is provided, it is entirely reasonable the owner should charge.

Where a bouy isnt provided, I wonder where the rights to charge arise? For example, in Chichester a charge seems to be levied if you anchor anywhere but in NewTown there is a charge only on a bouy. I think in Chichester's case you are meant to pay harbour dues for passage, but may be I am wrong, regardless of whther or not you anchor.

Doubtless they arise from various byelaws, but it does seem at odds that simply because the sea forms an inlet somehow, someone is entitled to claim ownership and charge to anchor under your own steam so to speak?

and without necessarily minding about paying up, so someone comes by in a launch and "demands" a fee, but how is one to know whether you must pay or not?

Default Re: Chichester Harbour and Other Places

Well in the case of Chichester the Harbour Conservancy was set up by Act of Parliament. They provide and maintain navigation marks and do a bit of dredging now and then. More details here: https://www.conservancy.co.uk/page/279-the-conservancy
    ۞

Quote Originally Posted by ip485 View Post
    Doubtless they arise from various byelaws, but it does seem at odds that simply because the sea forms an inlet somehow, someone is entitled to claim ownership and charge to anchor under your own steam so to speak?
    Yarmouth Harbour limits extend well out into the Solent in a big square box. The Harbour has the right to charge for anchoring in that area, though I don’t know whether they do in practice.

Point is that an “inlet” is not required; the harbour area is wherever the relevant act of Parliament defines it to be.

Pete

I think that harbour dues can (should) only be levied by 'Competent Harbour Authorities' which have been authorised by Parliament.
    This looks to be a fairly comprehensive list... https://www.revolvy.com/page/Compete...authority?cr=1

sail in France as the thieves do not extend to there. Free Anchoring.

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.

Quote Originally Posted by alahol2 View Post
    I think that harbour dues can (should) only be levied by 'Competent Harbour Authorities' which have been authorised by Parliament.
    This looks to be a fairly comprehensive list... https://www.revolvy.com/page/Compete...authority?cr=1
    Well our harbour trust is not on that list. Shall I suggest they have no right to charge us? I suspect their answer would be we have no right to keep a boat there.

Quote Originally Posted by ProDave View Post
    Well our harbour trust is not on that list. Shall I suggest they have no right to charge us? I suspect their answer would be we have no right to keep a boat there.
    The main thrust of this thread concerns anchoring not permanent moorings.
    Anchoring in tidal waters forms part of the public right of navigation and, as such, the owners of the seabed/foreshore and those responsible for managing tidal waters are not permitted to impose charges on anchoring unless they have statutory authority. In the majority of cases that authority is conveyed by being a CHA.
    I believe it was because of these laws that charges for anchoring in Newtown were dropped by the NT.