Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: How slow do you sail ?

Sailing down to the trade winds from the Canaries we had light winds and kept sailing we were not in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    I'm with you there. Plus I always anchor, pick up moorings and depart under sail if it's at all possible.
    Lucky you. As we have moorings in the Bristol Channel and in the Tamar estuary picking up moorings under sail is almost impossible due to tidal currents over 1 to 2kt even through moorings. In the old days they had gigs to assist final bit and a lot more boats came to greif. I will sail off if tide right though.

To get down coast from the Tamar I must go against the tide for 9 miles to get out of Plymouth. I could sail it on a falling tide if I had enough time to stop and wait for next tide but generally not worth it. Zig zag tacking in front of the Torpoint chain ferries will win you no friends either.

My cruising mentors told me long ago that most cruisers do half their time under power and that seems true.
    Engines are useful so I am upset mine is now near dead. Good practice this last season but unsettled the Navigator sailing towards lee shores in F5/6 aiming for dog leg channels.

Racers and ocean crossers manage differently to cruisers.
    A boat is for going places

Recall many years ago hearing the traditionalist saying engines would ruin the art of sailing. Were they correct ?
    I must have been reincarnated because I'm living the life of Riley.

With the Windward and Leewards as a cruising ground there is nearly always good wind for sailing and 99% of the time it has E in it. If the forecast is very light we just wait a day for normal service to resume so engining to go to a new island never happens. Normally we can fill the fuel tank at the beginning of the season and its still half full at the end with more fuel being consumed by the generator than the engine. Having said that the delivery trip from Curacao to anywhere in the East Caribbean is always a motorsail for nearly all boats. Its against the wind and current and Anywhere between 500-360nm. We are usually keen to get it over with so we dont spare the horses. With winds circa 20kts its usually engine at 1000-1200 rpm, working jib and two reefs in the main all sheeted in so we can lay 30deg apparent.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyman View Post
    Recall many years ago hearing the traditionalist saying engines would ruin the art of sailing. Were they correct ?
    I think they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    I think they were.
    Add in chartplotter and the art of navigation is lost. So you end up with a sport with far more people of varying ability able to take part in much more comfort. But so little challenge that it’s too boring for the next generation of owners to get involved.

I won’t have done anything like the distance of others with my longest passage being around 80 miles but I’d also agree it depends.

The engine noise is terrible and when it’s running my partner says the smell makes her feel ill and she can’t go below. So if we’re not in any rush we’ll happily drift along providing the weather is nice. However, if we need to get somewhere before the tide turns or we lose the light or the conditions make drifting along uncomfortable we’ll put the engine on. In practice this happens a lot as we’re mostly weekend warriors and I’ve often pushed our luck in planning how far we can get. If we had more time I suspect we’d use the engine less.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyMS View Post
    We took 42 hours for Wells to Den Helder in our Jaguar 22, I think in 1977. When we reached the Dutch coast we had no idea where we were, but, as it was approaching midday, took a noon site on our plastic sextant and turned left to Den Helder!
    How, taking a noon site, did you arrive at the decision to "turn left" to Den Helder?

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    Six knots really or you just pulling our leg
    Sorry not to answer but there was no wifi on the boat.

Yes; I do mean six knots. Our HR 34 will normally motor at about 6.5kn and relaxed sailing is between 6 & 7, often more. I possibly need to put things into context. The sort of passage I am referring to would have been at the start or end of a three-month cruise, so we would have been involved in what was psychologically just a delivery trip. I normally do the sums in my head, and if the boat speed means a tiring or tiresome passage, I will motor or motor-sail on.

Something of a record for slow sailing was what we observed many years ago. We met three manky old men from an even mankier old boat, maybe 24ft or so, in Dieppe. They had taken three days to sail maybe 60 miles from Rye. My wife encountered them first in the bar of the club, then in a sort of prefab cabin. At 11.30 they had already celebrated their arrival a little too well and decided that it would be fun to try and guess my wife's age. Her lack of amusement at this game exceeded even that of Queen Victoria.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Well, from all this I’m going to have another go at reducing our motor-on speed from 5 to 3 knots. We have no long passages planned for well over a year so it should be fine for island hopping.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast