Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: How slow do you sail ?

I there is not much wind and we are cruising, our first thought is to consider a closer destination rather than turn on the motor.
    Obviously some times we need to make progress and the engine will go on.

Once the motor goes on, the apparent wind means you need a decent breeze beofre you'll turn it off. Particularly on a downwind leg. It's always great to get the kite up and reach past boats motoring in zero apparent wind.

Sometimes it's a matter of working out how long you can drift before needing the engine to make last orders. Doing 2 or 3 knots while you prepare (maybe even catch!) and eat dinner is pleasant progress. Doing 6 knots with a noisy engine is a chore.

I think a lot of yotters have become used to nice quiet engines and fire them up when they can't do 5 knots. Come the RTIR, they're knackered if the wind drops because they've just not put the hours in learning to make their boats move in F1/F2.
    Also this culture seems to mean that cruising boats are not expected to perform in light airs, so the rigs are a bit poorly designed and small. I guess the med influence of on/off wind is at work here.

Then there's people who over-plan things, so need to keep moving or it's a fail. It's easier to head west and see where you get.

Running the engine late in the day gets attractive in terms of hot water for a shower, full batteries and heading towards a pint.

Well after the first few replies I thought I must be the only one but good to see others will also hold off before turning the key .
    The question was ask , who beat into the wind , well all the way up the west coast of Italy we did some days we didn't get far ,a 15 miles sail turned into 30 , other days the angle of the coast to the northern winds meant we could make a lot more head way .

We was working out what fuel we used this year the other day and its turn out we sailed at the very less two third of our 2000 miles trip .
    Still less then I hoped for , that still 660 miles under engine my calculation that's still a couple hundreds litre of fuel .
    Must try harder
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    I there is not much wind and we are cruising, our first thought is to consider a closer destination rather than turn on the motor.
    Obviously some times we need to make progress and the engine will go on.

Once the motor goes on, the apparent wind means you need a decent breeze beofre you'll turn it off. Particularly on a downwind leg. It's always great to get the kite up and reach past boats motoring in zero apparent wind.

Sometimes it's a matter of working out how long you can drift before needing the engine to make last orders. Doing 2 or 3 knots while you prepare (maybe even catch!) and eat dinner is pleasant progress. Doing 6 knots with a noisy engine is a chore.

I think a lot of yotters have become used to nice quiet engines and fire them up when they can't do 5 knots. Come the RTIR, they're knackered if the wind drops because they've just not put the hours in learning to make their boats move in F1/F2.
    Also this culture seems to mean that cruising boats are not expected to perform in light airs, so the rigs are a bit poorly designed and small. I guess the med influence of on/off wind is at work here.

Then there's people who over-plan things, so need to keep moving or it's a fail. It's easier to head west and see where you get.

Running the engine late in the day gets attractive in terms of hot water for a shower, full batteries and heading towards a pint.
    You are right , unless we need to get anywhere In particular we don't have a plain harbour , we sail until we had enough ,
    It's not unusual if a wake up early and there a nice breeze blowing to up Anchor leaving my partner in bed , she use to it too she just sleep on .
    We normally work out what anchorages we have on the way and if the wind plays games we call it a day , but it's not the first time we anchored up , then the wind picks in our favour early evening with a few more hours of day light and we up anchor .

Over plain is most people down fall . There set them self an harbour and keep aiming for it .
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 14-09-19 at 20:08.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

2.2kts turned out to be our absolute limit for any length of time. Navigator expressed clear wish to be either bought supper or brought to harbour to enable her to cook it in comfort rather than jilling about all evening somewhere approaching Falmouth. She noted that I had had considerable time adjusting sails, wandering about the boat hoisting spare canvas optimistically but she was bored and hungry. In normal circumstances I think much less than 3.5kt gets us thinking of the iron topsail but it was pleasant weather to bumble
    A boat is for going places

I used to sail with a friend who always planned on his boat doing an average of 4 knots VMG. The boat was significantly overweight and somewhat under-canvassed, so needed a decent breeze to get much speed at all, and of course, the wind was usually from the wrong direction. He also did not go out if there was a Force 6 in the forecast, on the grounds that it only had to be one Force out, and we'd be out in a 7, and we didn't want that, did we? We did a lot of motoring! (We also had a lot of fun.)

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.

It's not so much a case of how fast, but where people sail (or not)

Sailing in the Moray forth a lot, I observe larger boats heading in or out of Inverness / Calley canal. Almost without fail inbound boats drop their sails just round Chanonry point and motor the last 6 miles in, even if it is good conditions for sailing. And likewise outbound boats seem happy to motor that 6 miles before they even think about hoisting the canvas.

Me, I like to get the sails up if possible within minutes of leaving the harbour.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

I claim the slow record for crossing the North Sea in both directions, in 1976 which some may remember as a year of exceptional fine weather with prolonged calms. I dislike using the engine and try not to use it at all unless we are under time pressure, which I try not to be.

We took 42 hours for Wells to Den Helder in our Jaguar 22, I think in 1977. When we reached the Dutch coast we had no idea where we were, but, as it was approaching midday, took a noon site on our plastic sextant and turned left to Den Helder!

Quote Originally Posted by Yngmar View Post
    Now the next question is, how many cruisers bother with beating into the wind?
    With ... ? Sorry, not quite getting the concept there.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by ProDave View Post
    Me, I like to get the sails up if possible within minutes of leaving the harbour.
    I'm with you there. Plus I always anchor, pick up moorings and depart under sail if it's at all possible.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast