Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: How slow do you sail ?

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    Well, from all this I’m going to have another go at reducing our motor-on speed from 5 to 3 knots. We have no long passages planned for well over a year so it should be fine for island hopping.
    Good man , as My posting help you to decide to sail slower , can I have have half of the fuel bill you going to save
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyman View Post
    Recall many years ago hearing the traditionalist saying engines would ruin the art of sailing. Were they correct ?
    Actually I would tend to disagree. Engines open up the cruising grounds to people, consequently opening up sailing as a whole to a wider participating audience. I.e. more people go sailing.
    That, I suspect, is regardless of the loss of the numbers of working community that relied on sail for a living.
    If that is correct, can one honestly say that the art of sailing has been ruined, if the "art" is now practiced by greater numbers from those that might not otherwise have been involved?
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
    How, taking a noon site, did you arrive at the decision to "turn left" to Den Helder?
    Probably saw Ijmuiden out the porthole

There have been many times where I don't mind standing still against the tide if the scenery is nice. But, like most of the others here, if I am on my way somewhere and the speed drops below 2.5 knots, then I will start the engine to motorsail. If the wind is against me, I would put the main up and try to motorsail very close to the wind. If all fails, I motor!!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    My wife encountered them first in the bar of the club, then in a sort of prefab cabin. At 11.30 they had already celebrated their arrival a little too well and decided that it would be fun to try and guess my wife's age..
    So did your wife go on the explain what she was doing with 3 drunks going from a bar to a "sort of prefab cabin" in Dieppe at 11-30.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    Actually I would tend to disagree. Engines open up the cruising grounds to people, consequently opening up sailing as a whole to a wider participating audience. I.e. more people go sailing.
    That, I suspect, is regardless of the loss of the numbers of working community that relied on sail for a living.
    If that is correct, can one honestly say that the art of sailing has been ruined, if the "art" is now practiced by greater numbers from those that might not otherwise have been involved?
    I would suggest the reason there move boats on the water now is because of all the navigation Aids ,
    Take them away and there be less people on boats .

Probably saw Ijmuiden out the porthole
    Ah, so the noon sight had nothing to do with the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    I would suggest the reason there move boats on the water now is because of all the navigation Aids ,
    Take them away and there be less people on boats .
    Did not stop the explosion of small sail boats in the 50's to 70's when nav aids were far less sophisticated. So i disagree with that comment. I.e. I did not make my first trip over the channel because I had a DF set. It was more a case of "inspite of" having a DF set. Apart from that it was a compass and an echo sounder.- No log.

Besides i was commenting on the effect of engines on " ruining the art of sailing". I still say that they helped attract people to sailing. Engines include outboards (like the British Seagull, the Anzani, Evinrude, Johnson etc). Not just inboards.
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 15-09-19 at 20:26.

So did your wife go on the explain what she was doing with 3 drunks going from a bar to a "sort of prefab cabin" in Dieppe at 11-30.
    You've got me worried now. She told me that she was going in the club for a shower.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Did not stop the explosion of small sail boats in the 50's to 70's when nav aids were far less sophisticated. So i disagree with that comment. I.e. I did not make my first trip over the channel because I had a DF set. It was more a case of "inspite of" having a DF set. Apart from that it was a compass and an echo sounder.- No log.

Besides i was commenting on the effect of engines on " ruining the art of sailing". I still say that they helped attract people to sailing. Engines include outboards (like the British Seagull, the Anzani, Evinrude, Johnson etc). Not just inboards.
    Don't. Know about the 50s but there thousands more boats about now then the 70s .
    Edit ... hundreds of thousands more , we on a island where we I use to come has a child , in them days it was fishing boats and maybe hundred or so private sailing and motor boats , there now 15 marina all busting at the seams , over thousand boats just in one marina , it's said every family as a member somewhere in that family that has a boat .
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 15-09-19 at 20:53.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast