Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 62
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Southminster, essex
    Posts
    9,433

    Default Re: How slow do you sail ?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    You've got me worried now. She told me that she was going in the club for a shower.
    So she was not lying then. I would often describe 3 drunks as a right "shower"
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Southminster, essex
    Posts
    9,433

    Default Re: How slow do you sail ?

    Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    Don't. Know about the 50s but there thousands more boats about now then the 70s .
    .
    Would be a lot less without those from the 50-early 80's & the point I was making, was that the lack of the current modern nav aids did not stop people sailing then. They were simple not available to the masses at that time.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,120

    Default Re: How slow do you sail ?

    You have heard of " Go with the flow?"

    Currents are strong with Spring rates of upto 8 knots in the vicinity of the Second Severn Crossing. The funnel-shape of the Estuary and River produces the regular, sometimes spectacular, Severn bore. The water is deepest at High Water Springs and shallowest at Low Water Springs.


    Last Saturday 14th on returning from the Holmes race we were 2 and a half hours before HW at the new Severn crossing and just by Charston rock the water was a witches cauldron , quite a sight only about 100 mtres of disturbed waters! motored through and into the Pill! Rock left to starboard, local knowledge only!Windows Photo Gallery Wallpaper.jpg
    Last edited by TOKOLOSHI; 16-09-19 at 06:47. Reason: photo

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Med
    Posts
    6,203

    Default Re: How slow do you sail ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    Would be a lot less without those from the 50-early 80's & the point I was making, was that the lack of the current modern nav aids did not stop people sailing then. They were simple not available to the masses at that time.
    Good morning .
    I don't dis agree the different is in them days you had to learn how to navigate so anyone doing and distance sailing , not up and down local river learned ,
    now many haven't got a clue what a set of dividers look like , any idiot can get on a boat and start a motor and drive it from A to B looking at the plotter . With power full engine most of the time you haven't got to worry about currents .
    Most of us started with dinghy and work our way up learning skills has we go ,
    Now as long as you can buy a boat with the lastest Aid , your an expert over night .
    You only got to read question ask here and on other sailing forum to see how little knowledge some people have .
    .
    Re you comment on boats of the 50s to 70s that help to make up the boat of to day , sorry can't agree , maybe there on the east coast but in Europe there very little old boats still about more then 90 present are newest boats ,
    Has I look around me this morning other then some old tubs the rest are within 10 years old .
    When I say rest I talking in hundreds , the marina opposite I am anchor hold 400 hundred boats .
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 16-09-19 at 06:40.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Home UK Midlands / Boat Croatia
    Posts
    20,314

    Default Re: How slow do you sail ?

    Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    Has I look around me this morning other then some old tubs the rest are within 10 years old .
    I had a look around the bay we're in on Hvar last night and there are 15 buoys owned by two restaurants (so free for us!) and all were occupied by new boats. Ours was probably the oldest. What is also interesting is that 7 of those boats were catamarans. That is a massive change, even from 5 years ago, so it looks like monohulls will soon be a dying breed in the Med, much like the Caribbean.

    Richard

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    960

    Default Re: How slow do you sail ?

    Quote Originally Posted by TOKOLOSHI View Post
    You have heard of " Go with the flow?" Currents are strong with Spring rates of upto 8 knots in the vicinity of the Second Severn Crossing. The funnel-shape of the Estuary and River produces the regular, sometimes spectacular, Severn bore. The water is deepest at High Water Springs and shallowest at Low Water Springs.


    Last Saturday 14th on returning from the Holmes race we were 2 and a half hours before HW at the new Severn crossing and just by Charston rock the water was a witches cauldron , quite a sight only about 100 mtres of disturbed waters! motored through and into the Pill! Rock left to starboard, local knowledge only!Windows Photo Gallery Wallpaper.jpg
    Seeing as St Pierre Pill was a major Roman port long long ago those old sailors must have had nerves of steel if they came through the gap under sail. Even today if in doubt I go round the top of Charlton Rock to the still water before cutting in to the creek.

    And as for going faster than the wind in the Shoots and sailing backwards to keep steerage! Very few Bristol Channel sailors sneer at engines, and engine problems caused major issues for a recent forumite trying to get into Lydney
    A boat is for going places

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Med
    Posts
    6,203

    Default Re: How slow do you sail ?

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    I had a look around the bay we're in on Hvar last night and there are 15 buoys owned by two restaurants (so free for us!) and all were occupied by new boats. Ours was probably the oldest. What is also interesting is that 7 of those boats were catamarans. That is a massive change, even from 5 years ago, so it looks like monohulls will soon be a dying breed in the Med, much like the Caribbean.

    Richard
    Not sure if there ever be a dying breed ,
    but very much agree there many more cat , the charter market seen to be replacing a lot of there mono with cats .
    This is going to cause another problem ,
    Spaces in marinas ,
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Med
    Posts
    6,203

    Default Re: How slow do you sail ?

    @ Richard S
    Just out of interest Richard , how many boats would you say is in the marina your base in ?
    How many from say from the 80s and what proportion are within say 10 / 15 years old ?
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Devon, England
    Posts
    2,559

    Default Re: How slow do you sail ?

    FWIW, in a 20-footer my average speed this year on recorded (day) passages is usually 3.5 to 4 kts. Almost all under sail.
    Best sustained speed was 4.7 kts from Scilly to Falmouth in ideal conditions.

    I sail 95% of the time once out of harbour as I don’t like to bother the (transom-mounted) engine and it is so much nicer to sail.

    It isn’t surprising that most yachts overtake me, but it is surprising how many yachts do so under engine on good sailing days. Admittedly often hugging the coast for short hops. Maybe to a lunch stop then back home in time for tea?

    Top speed is about 6, ignoring the weird numbers I sometimes get from Navionics.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Southminster, essex
    Posts
    9,433

    Default Re: How slow do you sail ?

    Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    Good morning .
    I don't dis agree the different is in them days you had to learn how to navigate so anyone doing and distance sailing , not up and down local river learned ,
    now many haven't got a clue what a set of dividers look like , any idiot can get on a boat and start a motor and drive it from A to B looking at the plotter . With power full engine most of the time you haven't got to worry about currents .
    Most of us started with dinghy and work our way up learning skills has we go ,
    Now as long as you can buy a boat with the lastest Aid , your an expert over night .
    You only got to read question ask here and on other sailing forum to see how little knowledge some people have .
    .
    Re you comment on boats of the 50s to 70s that help to make up the boat of to day , sorry can't agree , maybe there on the east coast but in Europe there very little old boats still about more then 90 present are newest boats ,
    Has I look around me this morning other then some old tubs the rest are within 10 years old .
    When I say rest I talking in hundreds , the marina opposite I am anchor hold 400 hundred boats .
    How many of those are second boat (or more) owners though?
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to