Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Tips you'd like to have known when you first got your boat?

Dinghies may teach you about sail trim, but there's a world of difference in helming a boat and a dinghy

You'd be better off spending the time learning on your boat than faffing around in dinghies

Chartering is probably more cost effective

Learn to understand the difference between boat pounds, drinking vouchers and real money. No matter how much you spend on the boat and bits you will need at least twice as much to keep it afloat. A rough guide is about £6 per mile sailed - and that's for a well used boat. As a far richer man than me put it - “If it flies, floats or fornicates, always rent it. It’s cheaper in the long run.”

Quote Originally Posted by seaangler23 View Post
    get someone to show you how to check over the engine and to change filters and bleed the fuel system
    Agree itís good to have confidence in the engine and your ability to keep it going. But SeaAngler hasnít noticed you have an outboard and is giving advice on inboard diesel systems

Also, as someone who started sailing in dinghies, I suggest you ignore the advice to do the same. You have your boat, getting involved with dinghies at this point will be an irrelevant distraction.

You might get some useful advice and perhaps even offers of help if you say where youíll be sailing.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    Learn to understand the difference between boat pounds, drinking vouchers and real money. No matter how much you spend on the boat and bits you will need at least twice as much to keep it afloat. A rough guide is about £6 per mile sailed - and that's for a well used boat. As a far richer man than me put it - “If it flies, floats or fornicates, always rent it. It’s cheaper in the long run.”
    That's a wise comment. I've also heard, "if you don't like someone then buy them a boat"

Regards
    S

A J24 as first ever sailing boat?

Racy, very lively and would punish bad sailing technique much the same as dinghy sailing does. But more potential to damage itself and others in the vicinity being bigger and more powerful than a dinghy.

That all said a novice should be fine with a competent coach on board for the first season.

Its outboard engine sits on the transom. Really for use in calms or the final few yards. Like a big dinghy.

That's what I've heard anyway, hoping someone with more knowledge will chip in...

It's certainly possible to learn to sail on a cruiser and to skip learning on dinghies - I did. I'm certainly not be the best sailor ever but I can handle my boat in pretty much any conditions perfectly adequately. Maybe if you want to race, then dinghy experience might give you an edge but otherwise it's definitely not essential.

Agree about giving some priority to learning to handle the boat under engine, maneuvering slowly, docking, reversing, turning in tight places etc. Unless you go out in a gale, you'll likely find that the most stressful part of sailing.

If you know someone with sailing experience, it might be a good idea to ask them to accompany you on your first few excursions - sailing should be fun and if you can take steps to avoid stress and anxiety, then you should.

Good luck and enjoy. Sailing with just the right amount of wind, under a blue sky, away from all the c..p on shore....it truly does not get better than that!
    Jonathan / Aeolus

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Everyone I've mentioned to that I've bought a J24 says it's a fast boat. She'll be moored in a tidal river so hopefully I won't bump into anything too expensive as I learn. The club I'm joining, the members are really helpful and have offered to help me learn. The previous owner has also offered to teach me her ropes when I get her back in the water too.

Other than the J24 association, is anyone aware of where I may be able to get some supplies/parts for her if needed?

Thinking long term that I may like to upgrade the companion and foredeck hatches to something more modern that lets more light into the cabin.

If you are agile enough do learn to sail in a dinghy - don't listen to those who say otherwise. I've sailed with many dozens of people, and it is rare for those who have no dinghy experience to have the wind sense of a dinghy sailor. I had a crew member with nothing but Optimist experience (lots). Within a day she was about the best windward helm I've had aboard.

Boat handling: remember that you are always sailing if there is wind - even if you have no sails up. Put your motor in neutral in clear sea in a breeze. Note how she behaves. Learn, using transits, that, due to wind and current, the boat is not always travelling it the direction she is pointing in, develop a feel for this, and use it when manoeuvring.

I confess to being confused.

The yacht is described as a Westerly J24. Did Westerly licence the manufacture of J24s?

On the assumption its a 'real' J24 - a J24 was our first keel yacht and its hardly what I might describe as racy. Its only racy when sailed properly and with strict attention to wind and trim (and its an excellent yacht on which to start).

North Sails produced some excellent (they were tape then) videos on sail trim (on a J24) - I think they are on Youtube now - study them (try googling 'North Sail J24 Sail Trim'). We raced and cruised ours - with very indifferent success at the racing - but was a harsh learning process - and encouraged us to move up to a X99, where we had better success in inshore races.

Jonathan

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast