Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Default Re: Tips you'd like to have known when you first got your boat?

Purdie are you sure about this :

"Navionics charts are brilliant, but (at least the version on my mobile phone) show the actual depths over terra firma taking into account the state of the tide. (i.e. Don't be traditional and add the rise of tide to the charted depths.)"

I thought navionics just showed LAT and you would need to add the height of tide to arrive at the depth in real time

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    Disciplined accounting! Keep track of the costs from day 1. Keeps the mind focussed in a good way on what can be an expensive pastime.
    You go sailing to get away from that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    You would not know- Pubs would be shut by the time you got there

I think the real need is to discuss with your crew and prepare yourself mentally for the stresses of sailing when things go wrong. If you take your wife then expect things to get difficult. We all aim for a smooth outing with no dramas however things will go wrong. Wife possibly mother will feel obliged to protect kids husband boat etc so will have lots of advice to give. The more afraid they re the more advice you get. All this just when you need to think of a best solution and to fix the problems. Typically like running aground or finding your self over powered.
    I warn of all these things so you can discuss what can happen with your spouse or crew before you go out. Juist expect stress and appologise in anticipation to spouse.
    Don't get me wrong if you handle the first outings with care and conservative sailing you can get wife on side so she enjoys it. Get her (or crew) helming ASAP. The fun part of sailing is learning by your own mistakes. You and especially your wife have to try to see the learning as fun and disasters as good learning. Just try to contain your own yelling at the crew. They are the most important and valuable component of any boat. Mind their feelings. ol'will

Quote Originally Posted by steve yates View Post
    ... You'd be better off spending the time learning on your boat than faffing around in dinghies
    Olympic athletes don't faff around... not all the time.

I've done both. Dinghies teach you how to sail. Yachts teach you systems. Go straight to a yacht and you miss something, forever. I had not been on a beach cat in 25 years, until last week. I had owned one for 12 years and sailed it hard. As soon as the wind gave it (Prindle 19--a 19' Tornado clone with Mylar sails) a kick it all came back and I remembered why I missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    Disciplined accounting! Keep track of the costs from day 1. Keeps the mind focussed in a good way on what can be an expensive pastime.
    No accounting. You won't enjoy it.

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.

Quote Originally Posted by Crinan12 View Post
    Purdie are you sure about this :

"Navionics charts are brilliant, but (at least the version on my mobile phone) show the actual depths over terra firma taking into account the state of the tide. (i.e. Don't be traditional and add the rise of tide to the charted depths.)"

I thought navionics just showed LAT and you would need to add the height of tide to arrive at the depth in real time

Cheers
    On my phone, definitely. Confused the heck out of me at first. Maybe it is user configurable?

Thanks purdie, I didn't realise navionics did that. I treated it like a paper chart and though you had to add the height of tide.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    You would not know- Pubs would be shut by the time you got there
    At least he can console himself by beaching the boat, going to the next session and staggering back in the dark with no fear of drowning. :0)

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast