Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Default Re: Tips you'd like to have known when you first got your boat?

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
    But (coz there is always a but!) Remember you can only steer while you are make headway. So dropping to 0.2knot 200m away from the dock (to follow the advice above) and needing to turn will NOT work!

Short bursts of power are the answer. But it feel wierd (or it does to me!)
    As long as you have flow over the rudder, you can steer, its not a just matter of making headway.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
    As long as you have flow over the rudder, you can steer, its not a just matter of making headway.
    There are only three ways of getting flow over the rudder - being tied up in a current, a burst of engine forward and making headway through the water so I’m a bit confused by your reply.

Some of the earlier posts seemed to think a J24 was a cruiser - it's a keelboat - essentially a big dinghy with a lid and enough keel weight to self-right if it gets knocked down, as long as the lockers are shut. Personally I agree with those who say sail a planing dinghy first - it's the fastest way to get good at the actual sailing. Get anything wrong and instantly go swimming is a fine teacher. Once you can sail a fast dinghy in a good planing breeze and only capsize very very occasionally you can sail almost anything.

But a J24 is pretty much close enough to dinghy sailing for you to learn as you go. You probably have a 3.5 to 5 or 6 hp outboard on the transom, not an inboard diesel. Start off on nice light wind days, then get braver.

Good point - the J24 is still a fairly hot boat with few compromises for accomodation - they have been known to sink if pushed too far by idiot hero racing crews leaving the main hatch open.

So a responsive boat, but she still won't talk to you instantly like a dinghy, it doesn't need to be this years' latest dinghy or anything with a trapeze, it will still give instant feedback on things like crew trim in lateral and longitudinal axes let alone the sails.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.

Some things specific to quarter-tonners I forgot (it's a long time since I had a similar performing T24) -

If she starts slamming over the waves when beating into a headwind, slow down! It can change waves on the foredeck & loosened teeth fillings to quite peaceful bobbing about.

Also very high aspect ratio keel and rudder so easy to stall them both; you do need boat speed to keep the keel working and too much rudder is counterproductive.

If you can limit the heel to 20 degrees or so she, the boat, will appreciate it.

Easy to get complacent going downwind as wind over the deck is reduced and slamming minimised but beware accidental gybes and don't go too far if you then have an upwind journey back home.

Do learn to use the spinnaker, it is what quarter-tonners were made for :0)

Mine had a powerful dagger rudder with the centre of pressure well aft of the pintles hence great care was needed when going astern lest you got pinned against the pulpit. J24 owners will be able to advise on this.

As others have hinted, the flow in your river must be watched. Don't learn about this in the vicinity of any moored boats.

The difference in steaming into a current at slow speed and turning around and trying to do it in the opposite direction, after you have stalled your keel and rudder, will impress you. Did me.

A tip; when close to pontoons or quays, often berthed boats too there are always small bubbles in the water which are an excellent guide as to which way and how fast the current is going; this may be a local eddy the opposite direction to the general tide, I always watch this when approaching a berth.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Have you actually bought it yet? If not be aware that these old small boats are two a penny so don't pay too much for it. Id suggest a few hundred quid unless its an absolute stunner.

Quote Originally Posted by steve yates View Post
    Dinghies may teach you about sail trim, but there's a world of difference in helming a boat and a dinghy

You'd be better off spending the time learning on your boat than faffing around in dinghies
    Nah. I'm an RYA Cruising Instructor with my own boat but have just coerced Mrs Q to do 2 dinghy courses rather than teach her sail on a keel boat. Name one great sailor who didn't start in dinghies.
    Become an unconcious competent regarding wind awareness in dinghies (you learn fast either to swim or sail) then you can concentrate on yachty stuff.
    If, inderstandably, you're not keen on getting dunked in UK waters make a holiday of it in Greece or wherever.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 17-09-19 at 20:26.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    There are only three ways of getting flow over the rudder - being tied up in a current, a burst of engine forward and making headway through the water so I’m a bit confused by your reply.
    Ferry-gliding in a current? Much more fun than being tied up in one

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast