Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: looking for an impact driver

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    ... - it's one of those tools I didn't know I couldn't live without until I had one
    Totally agree.

i got a Bosch pro 12v Li one a few years back after using a friends one. Will safely do screws and bolts both big and rusted to precision small screws, they are very sensitive. Best bit is they don’t chew crosshead screws.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

I've got this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Makita-DTD1.../dp/B01861LGA2

Makita also do brushless ones. Brilliant bit of kit, and the batteries can be used in other Makita tools.

The problem with the manual ones comes if the thing you are working on is not properly supported, or is made of cheesy Jap alloy that breaks if you hit it. Specially true on some Jap bikes! I wouldn't want to use one on the flywheel nut of an outboard for example.

12 v ones sold for car wheel nuts are generally rubbish, with a few exceptions,. I had an old Goliath bought at a boat jumble, that lasted over 20 years abuse, even shifting a 36 mm crank nut on which I had bent 3 ft scaffold pole! Its replacement broke on the 3rd wheel nut! Can't get Goliath's now. I never ever needed to use it on the boat though!

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddlesticks View Post
    I've got this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Makita-DTD1.../dp/B01861LGA2

Makita also do brushless ones. Brilliant bit of kit, and the batteries can be used in other Makita tools.
    Is there some sort of adapter to fit a 1/2” socket to it etc? If is this model just for screws etc?
    Last edited by john_morris_uk; 15-09-19 at 07:49.
    Semper aliud

I agree you *shouldn't* need one. However... a manual one resides in my toolkit and on the day whenever my mate couldn't get the engine anode bolt out of his engine block (he'd already rounded the head), a hammered on socket and then a couple of decent wallops on the 'impact screwdriver' sorted his issue.

Funnily enough my other hobbies involve old Landrovers and old Japanese motorcycles, so I have a varied toolkit - it's useful as the number of times I use a tool I shouldn't have to...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12