Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default looking for an impact driver

I have a specific need for one just now and think that I should have one in my tool kit.
    years ago I had one of those 'manual' ones where you 'brayed' ( excuse the dialect!) the end of the tool.
    This seemed to work OK but I see there are now cordless versions which may or may not be an improvement.
    The manual appeals for use in my onboard kit ( less space and no flat battery issues!)

Any recommendations on manual v electric and suggestions as to 'best buys'.

Thanks all

Default Re: looking for an impact driver

If your hobby involves dismantling rusty landrovers, then the electric sort, either mains, 12V or battery is the best invention since the socket set.
    The hammer manual sort is particularly appropriate for use on negelcted/abused japanese motorbikes, where the hammer blow stops the bit 'camming out' of the Philips screw head.
    Neither should be needed on a well maintained boat.
    But I've found a mate with a LiIon 'windy gun' is a good friend to have.

I have a small Bosch power screwdriver, a Ryobi One+ impact driver and a Ryobi One+ drill/driver all battery operated, all in my home workshop and used regularly when I'm there. Have never felt the need to have any of them on board for maintenance jobs.

Neither should be needed on a well maintained boat.

Should is the operative word. It assumes all threaded fixings were correctly with an appropriate anti-seize product and never left to soak in sea water. Hand on heart, who can say that applies to their boat?

I have a manual impact driver that's been rattling around in my toolbox for years and rarely used; offhand, I can't remember it ever doing what it was supposed to, but maybe that's simply because it's rubbish. OTO, my DeWalt impact screwdriver is regularly used - it's one of those tools I didn't know I couldn't live without until I had one
    Last edited by Stemar; 14-09-19 at 11:08.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

I was recently looking at the latest Banggood offers (their website is addictive) and they had a wide variety of cordless impact wrenches for around £50.

https://www.banggood.com/search/impact-wrench.html

I gather Sebastian Vettel will be free at the end of the season

I can't see that an electric one can apply anything like the amount of torque that you can get with the kind that you bash with a hammer although it would perhaps be gentler

Quote Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

I can't see that an electric one can apply anything like the amount of torque that you can get with the kind that you bash with a hammer although it would perhaps be gentler
    Electric ones can apply orders of magnitude more torque than the manual types, try and have a go of one, they are wunderbar.
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

A friend down the pontoon here in Albufeira had one, useless, my 1/2” breaker bar with a straight screwdriver head did the biz!

Quote Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
    A friend down the pontoon here in Albufeira had one, useless, my 1/2” breaker bar with a straight screwdriver head did the biz!
    So you are in Europe then, on a trade mission are we

The Li ion cordless ones are simply amazing, the 3/8 ones will do most things on cars and the 1/2 ones will do most things on trucks including the wheel nuts which are approx 700nm.

Weirdly there are some things they wont undo and a bar and scaffold tube is needed, I think is mainly becasue the fastener is not into somehting solid so the hammer loses some of its grunt.

Like most things in life get a good one (Milwaukke for example) and you will be a convert, buy a cheapie and you will slate them til the day you die.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast