Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Coppercoat

Default Re: Coppercoat

It work for us full time cruisers if it it didn't I won't be applying it to this boat , a problem could be ( could be) when boat are only use for short period of time and left in weedy waters ,
    Once slim and weed gets hold it because a good bases from shell fish to get hold .
    Some years back we had a winter in Licata the boat didn't move for four months , Licata is well known for its fouling problem, we seen boat having to be towed away as they couldn't move under there only stream .
    Before we left I had to dive to clean my prop , it was a ball of shells and all our hull fitting but other then underneath the keel where it didn't get CC and again a mass of shells the rest of the hull was clean other then the odd shell which fell away as soon as I touch them , a little movement and they would had fell off .
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 19-09-19 at 07:25.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Our current boat has Coppercoat, already done by the previous owner a few years ago. It was done "properly" by a professional yard with a guarantee. But obviously the hull was not dried properly resulting in moisture trapped between gelcoat and coppercoat creating blisters. The blisters are small and dont cause any problem, but it is a reminder that hulls must have low moisture content, as per specification, before copperboat is applied. Apart from this issue, the copperboat coating works well; no shells, only slime. I wil not go back to painting with antifouling every year.

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN FANTASTIC View Post
    Our current boat has Coppercoat, already done by the previous owner a few years ago. It was done "properly" by a professional yard with a guarantee. But obviously the hull was not dried properly resulting in moisture trapped between gelcoat and coppercoat creating blisters. The blisters are small and dont cause any problem, but it is a reminder that hulls must have low moisture content, as per specification, before copperboat is applied. Apart from this issue, the copperboat coating works well; no shells, only slime. I wil not go back to painting with antifouling every year.
    Can you please point me to where you found these low moisture spec for CC , it's one of my worries has we plain to complete the work with a mo th . but when I spoke to CC UK About this they said it's no a problem unless there already a problem with the hull .

We had our totally ineffective Coppercoat power sanded back to within an inch of its life in May this year as every other process, as recommended by the manufacturer, had failed to "activate" it since it was applied 4 years ago.

Swimming under the boat during the last couple of weeks, it would seem that the barnacles and worms are building up after only 4 months in many places on the hulls although some areas are not too bad. However, as the boat will now be standing still for another 8 or 9 months, I think that the build up will be horrendous by next season.

There seem to be two possible explanations, one is that Coppercoat does not work in Croatia, whatever you do to "activate" it, and the second is that Coppercoat does not work on boats that stand still for most of the year .... or perhaps a combination of these two.

The boat was conventionally antifouled for 6 years before we wasted our time and money on Coppercoat and that worked extremely well.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    We had our totally ineffective Coppercoat power sanded back to within an inch of its life in May this year as every other process, as recommended by the manufacturer, had failed to "activate" it since it was applied 4 years ago.

Swimming under the boat during the last couple of weeks, it would seem that the barnacles and worms are building up after only 4 months in many places on the hulls although some areas are not too bad. However, as the boat will now be standing still for another 8 or 9 months, I think that the build up will be horrendous by next season.

There seem to be two possible explanations, one is that Coppercoat does not work in Croatia, whatever you do to "activate" it, and the second is that Coppercoat does not work on boats that stand still for most of the year .... or perhaps a combination of these two.

The boat was conventionally antifouled for 6 years before we wasted our time and money on Coppercoat and that worked extremely well.

Richard
    Richard you may have a point , it worked well on our other boat but as you know we on the move most of the time , only for three month our boat sits in one place .
    As I said I think once any slime get attached to the hull it's a good base for any fouling to get a hold , by moving around we don't have the problem plus we do swim a lot so wiping it now and then isn't a problem .
    The three seaons we sailed in Croatia we didn't seen an y different ,
    The only thing I would say , your was just sanded before your last launched so it hard to except that slime would had been the cause of your problem .
    Have you taken photo before and after , as it well worth talking to CC about it .

We have Coppercoat. We reapplied it ourselves last year as the old stuff was getting less effective. New stuff is working well. We move about a lot but find when we anchor in one place for a while we need to clean it more often. Sitting next to a friends boat that had TBT applied we both experienced the same level of barnacles. Some anchorages here in the Caribbean are notorious for fouling wether you have CC or conventional anti-fouling.
    When our first CC was applied several years ago by the ‘professionals’ they didn't burnish it before launch. It never worked well. We tried burnishing with scotchpads but I think in hindsight we would have been better hitting it with a sander to expose more copper. On this application of CC with burnished with 320grit before launch and the performance seems much improved.

Ok I’ve literally just been lifted. Watching the boat being washed.

Some slime on the Coppercoat. About 10 barnacles.
    The conventionally antifoul bits are significantly worse as you can see.
    74C08B13-0CBA-4D77-9436-99781AEED73B.jpeg
    B1CC034E-4F67-4C20-933C-44F27B701CE3.jpeg
    B9DEFA1F-E115-491A-AD7C-BB3B1DDCAD92.jpeg
    8B50F9AF-8674-4841-B373-802235DC4815.jpeg

Judge for yourselves.

Richard
    Richard, may I ask the following?

Did Coppercoat recommend the sanding specifically. Ie AMC in Dorset?
    Was the Coppercoat green or brown?

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    Richard you may have a point , it worked well on our other boat but as you know we on the move most of the time , only for three month our boat sits in one place .
    As I said I think once any slime get attached to the hull it's a good base for any fouling to get a hold , by moving around we don't have the problem plus we do swim a lot so wiping it now and then isn't a problem .
    The three seaons we sailed in Croatia we didn't seen an y different ,
    The only thing I would say , your was just sanded before your last launched so it hard to except that slime would had been the cause of your problem .
    Have you taken photo before and after , as it well worth talking to CC about it .
    Hi Vic

I've been talking to Ewan at Coppercoat for the last 4 years and it was he who suggested power sanding the whole hull with 100 grit as the Scotchbrite didn't achieve anything.

The full thread is at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...e-heavy-thread and AMC have seen all the photos.

I now have to decide whether to haul out again next year. The Trilux coated saildrives and folding props look fine and the anodes are hardly used and I just checked the saildrive oil and that is crystal clear so I can't see any reason to lift her out other than to re-visit the Coppercoat once again, as I have done every year since applying it. If I do, I will take photos. I might just sail with a barnacle infested hull for next season and haul out and conventionally antifoul in 2021 as the saildrive, props and anodes will probably need attending to by then.

It means that my speeds will be slower next year but at £500 a haul out, it might be a price worth paying.

There is no doubt in my mind that AMC should be offering me a partial refund after years of additional annual haul out expense but I know that isn't going to happen.

Richard

Hi Vic

I've been talking to Ewan at Coppercoat for the last 4 years and it was he who suggested power sanding the whole hull with 100 grit as the Scotchbrite didn't achieve anything.

The full thread is at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...e-heavy-thread and AMC have seen all the photos.

I now have to decide whether to haul out again next year. The Trilux coated saildrives and folding props look fine and the anodes are hardly used and I just checked the saildrive oil and that is crystal clear so I can't see any reason to lift her out other than to re-visit the Coppercoat once again, as I have done every year since applying it. If I do, I will take photos. I might just sail with a barnacle infested hull for next season and haul out and conventionally antifoul in 2021 as the saildrive, props and anodes will probably need attending to by then.

It means that my speeds will be slower next year but at £500 a haul out, it might be a price worth paying.

There is no doubt in my mind that AMC should be offering me a partial refund after years of additional annual haul out expense but I know that isn't going to happen.

Richard
    Richard I not sure I still got your email address , but if not I will PM you with some news ,
    sorry guys it private told to me and ask not to repeat on a public forum .

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast