Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Coppercoat

Default Re: Coppercoat

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Richard, may I ask the following?

Did Coppercoat recommend the sanding specifically. Ie AMC in Dorset?
    Was the Coppercoat green or brown?
    See above thread for more details. Ewan at AMC suggested Scotchbrite and when that achieved nothing, suggested power sanding with 100 grit as in the other thread, The problem is that there is a lot of hull to sand and I could not do it myself. Also, there are now some bare patches of gelcoat where the curves in the hull mean that sanding down to a consistent thickness is extremely difficult. Funnily enough, the bare patches appear to have no growth on them.

The Coppercoat has never been green other than in the area above the waterline where it gets splashed by waves. It's always been brown below the waterline although after the sanding in May this year in was a more coppery colour so a much lighter browny/reddy then every other year. However, it still doesn't work.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    Richard I not sure I still got your email address , but if not I will PM you with some news ,
    sorry guys it private told to me and ask not to repeat on a public forum .
    Hi Vic ... my email address is now the gmail one.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Hi Vic ... my email address is now the gmail one.

Richard
    Just email on Tesco , have you still got mine if so drop me a mail
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    See above thread for more details. Ewan at AMC suggested Scotchbrite and when that achieved nothing, suggested power sanding with 100 grit as in the other thread, The problem is that there is a lot of hull to sand and I could not do it myself. Also, there are now some bare patches of gelcoat where the curves in the hull mean that sanding down to a consistent thickness is extremely difficult. Funnily enough, the bare patches appear to have no growth on them.

The Coppercoat has never been green other than in the area above the waterline where it gets splashed by waves. It's always been brown below the waterline although after the sanding in May this year in was a more coppery colour so a much lighter browny/reddy then every other year. However, it still doesn't work.

Richard
    Cuprous oxide is what repels the critters. So if it isn’t green it can’t work. Why it didn’t go green is a mystery but if Ewan can’t figure it no one can.
    As you can see from my pictures mine is very green and it definitely works.

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    Cuprous oxide is what repels the critters. So if it isn’t green it can’t work. Why it didn’t go green is a mystery but if Ewan can’t figure it no one can.
    As you can see from my pictures mine is very green and it definitely works.
    You can turn it green before it goes in the water with wipeover of oxalic acid. If it stays brown it won't work - the copper is covered with epoxy?

hello
    i m a new owner of a bavaria 46 and i m sailing the last 2 years in Med.
    I m thinking to change my antifool with cc .
    do you think that works better at Med waters?
    any suggestions will be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    Can you please point me to where you found these low moisture spec for CC , it's one of my worries has we plain to complete the work with a mo th . but when I spoke to CC UK About this they said it's no a problem unless there already a problem with the hull .
    Unfortunately, I dont have the figures, however, to my knowledge, there is a certain level of moisture content that the hull must reach before coppercoat is applied, if too much moisture you will get blisterring.

Quote Originally Posted by t21 View Post
    You can turn it green before it goes in the water with wipeover of oxalic acid. If it stays brown it won't work - the copper is covered with epoxy?
    It can't have been covered with epoxy in my case because the 100 grit sander had removed half the thickness.

I've never heard of the oxalic treatment before. Is that something which has been suggested by AMC?

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN FANTASTIC View Post
    Unfortunately, I dont have the figures, however, to my knowledge, there is a certain level of moisture content that the hull must reach before coppercoat is applied, if too much moisture you will get blisterring.
    I had another conversation to day , needed to find what best epoxy to use on the steel keel and brought up the subject re moisture,
    They confirmed what they said before ,
    Now they maybe fogging me of with bad info or they don't seen to think it be a problem,
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by t21 View Post
    the copper in coppercoat is like the bubbles in an aero bar.

So when new there is a very thin layer of epoxy over the grains. That's why before first launch you should abrade with a scotchbrte pad.
    Once the corrosion has started it self perpetuates. The epoxy erodes (very very slowly) exposing new copper to corrode.

It can happen that slime forms before corrosion starts if the water is warm and fertile. Then it stays brown.

I have no clue why richard's didn't corrode. I also don't know if the acid trick works ive never seen it or done it. But if it does, great!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast