Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Coppercoat

Question Coppercoat

Anybody out there have an up to date idea of the cost of professionally applying Coppercoat to a 37 foot sailing yacht

Any recommendations for contractors in the solent area would also be welcome.

Feel free to PM me the ones to avoid.

Thanks

Default Re: Coppercoat

Have a word with CC UK i bet they can put you right .
    We are about to do our boat in a month ,it will be the second boat we CC
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Rhino View Post
    Anybody out there have an up to date idea of the cost of professionally applying Coppercoat to a 37 foot sailing yacht

Any recommendations for contractors in the solent area would also be welcome.

Feel free to PM me the ones to avoid.

Thanks
    I’d recommend Paul Shotton (scoresby on here or pm me for phone no) he can do the full job including antifoul removal.

For price reckon on about 3 x the cost of the paint. 1/3 paint, 1/3 antifoul removal, 1/3 prep and apply.
    Last edited by Elessar; 15-09-19 at 09:39.

If you are going to the Southampton Boat Show visit their stand.

I got the boat copper coated at Mylor in Cornwall this summer and am delighted with the work. They have a shed set up for the work so it is done indoors the cost of other contratractors who build a tempory tent round the boat was well over what I wanted to pay.
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

I have had CC on previous boat and this one. The stuff gives no protection against weed growth and eventually permits barnies, albeit only lightly attached. The next generation is the Silicon-based stuff, i think, so I'm going thattaway

Quote Originally Posted by t21 View Post
    I have had CC on previous boat and this one. The stuff gives no protection against weed growth and eventually permits barnies, albeit only lightly attached. The next generation is the Silicon-based stuff, i think, so I'm going thattaway
    I think people are Miss led that any Antifouling will stop all fouling .
    The great thing with CC is in warm waters a swim and a light rub to keep all the weed away .
    But as you say if you leave the weed on barnies will take hold .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Let's hope you move at over seven knots all the time!
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

before going for it, do view some boats that have come out having had the treatment. There was one in the slings at shamrock over the weekend and the growth was quite spectacular, an inch thick hard and soft growth.
    Jet washing removed 90% but there was still hard shell growth stuck fast to the silicone.

Now there could be 1000 reasons why this one failed and so this is only anecdotal evidence, but I would want to see have seen some that work before going for it.

Remember that once you've put silicone on you are stuck with it. You can't overpaint it. If you hate coppercoat it is easy to antifoul over the top. And for that matter easy to then strip back to the coppercoat!

Interested as our newer boat has standard antifoul and after one year the weed and mussels were horrendous. Our older boat had coppercoat and just a few barnacles even ten years after coating. We did coppercoat on that as part of gelcoat refurb, and that was all quite expensive.

We could do it ourselves but the increased time given my zero hours new contract (Hurrah!) is offset by the fact that I'm actually getting a bit creaky
    A boat is for going places

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post
    Interested as our newer boat has standard antifoul and after one year the weed and mussels were horrendous. Our older boat had coppercoat and just a few barnacles even ten years after coating. We did coppercoat on that as part of gelcoat refurb, and that was all quite expensive.

We could do it ourselves but the increased time given my zero hours new contract (Hurrah!) is offset by the fact that I'm actually getting a bit creaky
    Standard antifoul is getting weaker as the rules change. And there is more to come. Coppercoat has not changed and is unlikely to.

If we could still buy TBT I would paint over my Coppercoat.

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast