Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Coppercoat

Default Re: Coppercoat

Interesting to hear from Susie Goodall ( SIBS - Marlow Ropes Q&A Sunday ) that she had very limited g'b infestation, which crippled the efforts of others in the Golden Globe RTW solo race.
    She had Coppercoat on her Rustler 36.... over painted with 3 coats of antifoul paint.

You'll need to ask her about what type. Her answer on Sunday was 'ambiguous'.

She did say that, 'next time' she just have Coppercoat, for she'd burnish it to go faster. And take extra barnacle scrapers......

And... I'd be very interested to know what antifoul paint was actually used on Jean-Luc VDH's boat.

Quote Originally Posted by t21 View Post
    I have had CC on previous boat and this one. The stuff gives no protection against weed growth and eventually permits barnies, albeit only lightly attached. The next generation is the Silicon-based stuff, i think, so I'm going thattaway
    I've noticed, when perusing 'boats for sale', many which have had CC, then reverted back to conventional antifouling & been puzzled why.

Over the next month we going back to CC , this will be the second boat we CC ,
    For the med we love it . Not only it safe on the cost of hauling out each year but the dirty job of AF .
    To top it up more and more yards want to do the work for you , Which mean up goes the cost of the yearly AF .

We met people who complain is that it doesn't stop slim and if left on fouling will then happen , the fact is that slim will latch on hulls , but the great thing is , it will just wipe off CC .
    It will probably be around 2.5k to do this boat but 800 would need to be spend anyway to AF .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    I think people are Miss led that any Antifouling will stop all fouling .
    The great thing with CC is in warm waters a swim and a light rub to keep all the weed away .
    But as you say if you leave the weed on barnies will take hold .
    Hang on a moment. I'm trying to get my head around your statement...

If antifouling isn't supposed to stop fouling, what is it supposed to do please?

I had CC on a previous boat and it was so ineffective that it may as well not been there. 2" weed and small barnacles inside of 2 months. I did try and go for a swim and scrape/rub with carpet but the weed was firmly attached.

What have I missed out on please?

Oh, and remember that the USA is introducing legislation to ban copper-based antifouling and the boats that have it applied.

Quote Originally Posted by langstonelayabout View Post
    Hang on a moment. I'm trying to get my head around your statement...

If antifouling isn't supposed to stop fouling, what is it supposed to do please?

I had CC on a previous boat and it was so ineffective that it may as well not been there. 2" weed and small barnacles inside of 2 months. I did try and go for a swim and scrape/rub with carpet but the weed was firmly attached.

What have I missed out on please?

Oh, and remember that the USA is introducing legislation to ban copper-based antifouling and the boats that have it applied.
    Please re read , I didn't say CC wont stop fouling , I said , people are misled that any Antifouling will stop all fouling .

Also we not in the USA and I guess many here reading this aren't , but just to add to your statement , our friends are just re applied CC in there boat and there are in the US , it's being done by a year ,
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 18-09-19 at 05:35.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
    I've noticed, when perusing 'boats for sale', many which have had CC, then reverted back to conventional antifouling & been puzzled why.
    It may be because it was only weedfree with small barnacles they though Coppercoat wasnt wasnt working, so they paniced as it were, rather than polishing it back to effectiveness.

Others have suggested that standard antifoul over Coppercoat base is probably optimum protection though I would think that depleted antifoul would prevent the copper base from doing anything
    A boat is for going places

After CCing boat was launched mid April, by mid June it had to be lifted out to have the luxurious growth of weed removed by pressure washing. Reverted to paint on antifoul which worked very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedelus View Post
    After CCing boat was launched mid April, by mid June it had to be lifted out to have the luxurious growth of weed removed by pressure washing. Reverted to paint on antifoul which worked very well.
    It doesn’t reach full strength for 3 months. You lifted it after 2 and gave up. Conventional antifoul reaches full strength after a week. Then it’s downhill from there......

I had the boat done in July and todate the hull is clean as a whistle.

Out of interest when and how was your CC applied?

One comment the yard did say was it does take a few months to become "active" and to expect some growth in the first season.

I am in Plymouth and from the evidence I've seen round the marina all the boats with CC are clean. Before I was CCed I had antifouled with one coat of the cheapest stuff I could find 15 months earier and looked like the hanging gardens of Babylon so can really see a difference.
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

The colour changes over time to a deep green - I do not know the chemistry but this is when it becomes effective. Also you then have to use the boat occasionally and the slime that forms washes off. Simples.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast