Thread: The Tonk

Default The Tonk

Or 'Le Tonkinois' varnish.

Tales of success and otherwise gratefully sought, due to needing to surface-coat a new oak door and teak frame.

Default Re: The Tonk

Probably enough threads of praise on here. I certainly love the stuff. In high UV areas our horizontal surfaces need recoating once per year, but then doing so is particularly easy - just wet-sand down the crazed layer and apply more coats over it. Never strip varnish again.

Also it smells nice and isn't bad for you. The Ronseal satin stuff we've regrettably used for the companionway steps last year was still faintly smelling of lung cancer months later. Alas, it was visually a perfect match for the existing cabin varnish, but I think I'll give the Gelomat from Tonk another try for that next time.

For prep on new wood, you'll want to degrease thoroughly (Acetone). I've mostly worked with old wood that needed sanding down anyways (scraping is even better) and then just got a wipe with white spirit. You can start varnishing once that's evaporated. If it's very warm (> 25C), thin with a little(!) white spirit. Do not listen to folk telling you (additionally) thin the first coat, that's bad advice. I use a Harris synthetic brush (surprisingly good quality and not silly priced) and tip off after applying. The Le Tonkinois flows well. Drying time is usually one coat a day, which makes some impatient people bicker, but I quite like the pace. Before the final coat I give it a light wet sanding to level any bumps or insects and run the varnish through a mesh filter.

Store leftovers in a PET water bottle with the air squeezed out completely and it won't skin over.

Default Re: The Tonk

Thanks for that. Oi likesit.....