Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Britain at low tide (N. Kent)

A new one I believe.

Today (Saturday) 2000 hrs Channel 4.
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

Default Re: Britain at low tide (N. Kent)

Thanks, I'll take a look, kids permitting

I watched it on All4 (catch-up TV) and it was fascinating. As for the Whitstable “Street” I’m not sure what they concluded. They seemed to be saying it was a causeway for landing copperas then, looking at a modern chart, they seemed to conclude it was a remnant of a hard layer of “petrified” London Clay. Am I the only confused viewer?

Thanks, I watched this and it made me aware of an interesting bit of coast that I would like to visit sometime. But I found, as is often the case, the style and production intensely irritating. Such a shame because clearly the contributers had a lot more to offer in terms of knowledge.
    Last edited by Yorkshire Exile; 15-09-19 at 21:29. Reason: Spelling!

I live in the area, I've always though the Street is a quirk of the tidal flows around there. I thought the programme went on about it far too much and I didn't feel I believed their 'conclusion' either.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

I agree with the three 'reviewers'. I was a little surprised that they never mentioned the difference between sea levels in Roman times (and earlier). I would have thought that would have been the most significant thing. Or did I miss it. I am apt to miss things these days.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

That's a very good point which I hadn't thought of. It's reckoned that the coastline at Herne Bay and Reculver (Roman Regulbium), four miles East of the Street, was up to a mile further N 2000 years ago. So maybe the Street never existed then but is the remains of a much higher spit of land, an extension of the existing crumbly headland that stands behind it today.
    Last edited by Cantata; 16-09-19 at 07:21.
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Could well be. Sea-level in North Kent in Roman times was 15ft different so it could have been higher spit of land. Given the argument that the coastline could have been a mile further north I wonder what the Isle of Thanet looks like in Roman times. They used the Wantsum apparently to avoid going round the North Foreland (last used in Norman times it is said) and I read somewhere that the Romans preferred to use the Swale to get to the London River. Hard to see obvious evidence nowadays.
    www.crossingthethamesestuary.com

I did enjoy it but thought they were trying to cover too much in one programme. Lots of cutting between the locations and then reiterating what they had covered in the previous visit. I assume they were allowing for peoples short attention span.
    Well worth watching though.

Bit different to the "Coast" series but enjoyed it.

More of an archaeological slant I suppose.

I was not aware of the Richborough landing stage in WW1 . I though it was just for the D Day
    push in WW2 .
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast