Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Honda 2.3 advice

Quote Originally Posted by PeterBoater View Post
    A replacement S/S bolt kit for the Honda 2.3 is available for a reasonable price from steve66 of this parish. One snag with the 2.3 until you get used to it is that the revs have to be kept fairly high when starting from cold, usually with choke, to keep it running and that means the clutch kicks in and the prop turns. Just keep the tender tied up until the engine warms up and will keep running at idle.
    Many thanks... but why should I have to modify an expensive product that is supposedly designed for marine use? I have just paid a small fortune to rebuild a TillerPilot that leaked water onto the motor and electronics after just a year of use. Does the concept of salt water not reach some fairly major companies?

Quote Originally Posted by catweazle View Post
    I have a Honda 2.3 and its a fine engine in my opinion and so much lighter than my last 4 stroke outboard. Used regularly to drive the tender to my boats moorings for the last two years or so. Never failed. Always easy to start and uses minimal fuel, but it is quite a noisy little engine! However it is air cooled so you do not need to worry about sea water corrosion of the engine water cooling passages etc.
    The auto clutch is no issue at all and takes up the drive when you crack the throttle open a tad and is very easy to control speed etc
    Reference the "rusty bolts" mentioned in this thread, my ones are looking fine but I do rinse the outside of the engine and the bolts with fresh water after most trips. You can replace them if necessary with a kit of new bolts for a couple of pounds.
    Ten pounds (but still well worth doing)

I've had mine for 5 years, and can't fault it. None of the bolts show any sign of corrosion, and the only preventative measure that I take is to spray the internals with WD40 at the end of each season. The only advice about them that I have is to turn the fuel off, and allow the carb to empty to shut the engine down.
    Folkboat 'Stakkr' - Inverness - http://islandrov.wix.com/island-rov-web

Quote Originally Posted by jamie N View Post
    I've had mine for 5 years, and can't fault it. None of the bolts show any sign of corrosion, and the only preventative measure that I take is to spray the internals with WD40 at the end of each season. The only advice about them that I have is to turn the fuel off, and allow the carb to empty to shut the engine down.
    I am about 5 years into my second 2.3. The rusty bolts and carburettor bowl annoyed me too as a formerly loyal Honda motorcyclist. At first I avowed to buy otherwise, but all the alternatives are lot heavier, so I replaced it with the devil I know. As long as the carb is clean they are good engines, but spoilt by mild steel parts.

The most troublesome bits are:
    ---those closest to the sea (hex head M6 x 100 iirc) that hold the power head and the leg together. They are set deep into a recess so only a socket will move them, and only then if the head is still intact. If after 5 plus years of corrosion they cannot be undone, the engine is a write off as no useful repairs can be undertaken. So if you can undo them, I advise replacement, or at least squirt your WD40 at these as well.
    --- two much smaller bolts that clamp the exhaust manifold to the head.
    --- the carburettor bowl rusts from the inside and its drain screw seizes early in its life. Steve66 has replacements for either the bowl or the whole carb.

Quote Originally Posted by chewi View Post
    I am about 5 years into my second 2.3. The rusty bolts and carburettor bowl annoyed me too as a formerly loyal Honda motorcyclist. At first I avowed to buy otherwise, but all the alternatives are lot heavier, so I replaced it with the devil I know. As long as the carb is clean they are good engines, but spoilt by mild steel parts.

The most troublesome bits are:
    ---those closest to the sea (hex head M6 x 100 iirc) that hold the power head and the leg together. They are set deep into a recess so only a socket will move them, and only then if the head is still intact. If after 5 plus years of corrosion they cannot be undone, the engine is a write off as no useful repairs can be undertaken. So if you can undo them, I advise replacement, or at least squirt your WD40 at these as well.
    --- two much smaller bolts that clamp the exhaust manifold to the head.
    --- the carburettor bowl rusts from the inside and its drain screw seizes early in its life. Steve66 has replacements for either the bowl or the whole carb.
    In truth, I do give the whole engine a rub down with a oily/WD40 cloth at the same time, and it still appears good, but many thanks for the tip.
    Folkboat 'Stakkr' - Inverness - http://islandrov.wix.com/island-rov-web

I quite liked mine, serviced it last year, always starts first pull. If anyone wants it, it is available for free! Buyer to collect ... somewhere between buoy C6 and Mussel Bank in the menai straits ...

Quote Originally Posted by rszemeti View Post
    I quite liked mine, serviced it last year, always starts first pull. If anyone wants it, it is available for free! Buyer to collect ... somewhere between buoy C6 and Mussel Bank in the menai straits ...
    can you delliver..... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by rszemeti View Post
    Very generous offer.

By the way, if anyone finds a Harken red floating winch somewhere in the North Sea
    it's mine. Lost this week but a fantastic reward awaits the finder.
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterBoater View Post
    A replacement S/S bolt kit for the Honda 2.3 is available for a reasonable price from steve66 of this parish. One snag with the 2.3 until you get used to it is that the revs have to be kept fairly high when starting from cold, usually with choke, to keep it running and that means the clutch kicks in and the prop turns. Just keep the tender tied up until the engine warms up and will keep running at idle.
    Not my experience of 15 years with one.
    . sounds like you need a carb cleanout..

Thanks to all for your advice and comments, you have put my mind at rest and I shall get one.
    (My only experience of the Honda 2.3 is that I have heard them around the marina but never seen one close up!)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast