Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Honda 2.3 advice

Hi, I'm new to this forum and find it fascinating reading. I'm considering purchasing a Honda 2.3hp. What is putting me off is the thought of the automatic clutch.
    Am I right in assuming that you have a choice of the engine either idling or taking off at a very fast speed once engine revs reach 2,700?
    Doesn't this make control of your boat a little unpredictable?

Default Re: Honda 2.3 advice

No, it’s a doddle. Best outboard I’ve ever used. Drive take up is smooth and pulling away is effortless. You’ll wish you’d bought one years ago and avoided all the two stroke misery. Best small outboard ever.

I think the clutch (and the air cooling) are very neat features of the Honda 2.3, compared to our Suzuki, which has a stupid manual gear lever that either stalls the engine or you have to rev it so high it goes in with a frightening clunk. Most of the time I simply start it in gear to avoid the stupid thing. Would rather have the Honda (although never owned one and the Suzuki came with the boat).

It’s not a bad little engine if you ignore the rusting bolts etc... Bloody noisy, but the clutch is ok. I think small 4 stroke outboards are a stupid idea, but legislation has forced them upon us. The bigger Hondas are of much higher quality. My old Mariner 2hp was streets ahead in usability and lightness. I would buy an electric one next , but the prices are still too high.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngmar View Post
    I think the clutch (and the air cooling) are very neat features of the Honda 2.3, compared to our Suzuki, which has a stupid manual gear lever that either stalls the engine or you have to rev it so high it goes in with a frightening clunk. Most of the time I simply start it in gear to avoid the stupid thing. Would rather have the Honda (although never owned one and the Suzuki came with the boat).
    I also have the Suzy. When I put it in gear, I look out for gear teeth coming out the exhaust!�� I have altered the carb to burn richer and jettison unused fuel before storage which rather defeats Suzuki’s environmental concerns. The Honda is marginally more user friendly. Have tried a Torqeedo electric outboard, and it is miles better!

Quote Originally Posted by mbroom View Post
    I also have the Suzy. When I put it in gear, I look out for gear teeth coming out the exhaust!�� I have altered the carb to burn richer and jettison unused fuel before storage which rather defeats Suzuki’s environmental concerns. The Honda is marginally more user friendly. Have tried a Torqeedo electric outboard, and it is miles better!
    Oh dear, I am just restoring A Suz 3.5 2T.. I have a Yam 3.5 2T air cooled that is(was) ace, but might have a failed ig coil
    Used a Torqueedo, but not too impressed. It was an older one (8yrs ago?) and range was lacking, along with rusty sheer pins and fragile prop.

Quote Originally Posted by Milgrip View Post
    Hi, I'm new to this forum and find it fascinating reading. I'm considering purchasing a Honda 2.3hp. What is putting me off is the thought of the automatic clutch.
    Am I right in assuming that you have a choice of the engine either idling or taking off at a very fast speed once engine revs reach 2,700?
    Doesn't this make control of your boat a little unpredictable?
    I have a Honda 2.3 and its a fine engine in my opinion and so much lighter than my last 4 stroke outboard. Used regularly to drive the tender to my boats moorings for the last two years or so. Never failed. Always easy to start and uses minimal fuel, but it is quite a noisy little engine! However it is air cooled so you do not need to worry about sea water corrosion of the engine water cooling passages etc.
    The auto clutch is no issue at all and takes up the drive when you crack the throttle open a tad and is very easy to control speed etc
    Reference the "rusty bolts" mentioned in this thread, my ones are looking fine but I do rinse the outside of the engine and the bolts with fresh water after most trips. You can replace them if necessary with a kit of new bolts for a couple of pounds.

You could describe the Honda 2 like the feelings toward for or against the EU .

Opinions are strong both for both in and out.

The engine was untypical at the launch. Clutch ,4 stroke, air cooling ? on such a small engine what were they on about.

Definitely a classic in the annals of tender transport. You know you want one . Shame that the guy in the purchasing dept ordered some of the parts from the wrong suppliers. Hopefully, this only applies to the early ones which I have.
    Last edited by LONG_KEELER; 14-09-19 at 22:22.
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

A replacement S/S bolt kit for the Honda 2.3 is available for a reasonable price from steve66 of this parish. One snag with the 2.3 until you get used to it is that the revs have to be kept fairly high when starting from cold, usually with choke, to keep it running and that means the clutch kicks in and the prop turns. Just keep the tender tied up until the engine warms up and will keep running at idle.

Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    Oh dear, I am just restoring A Suz 3.5 2T.. I have a Yam 3.5 2T air cooled that is(was) ace, but might have a failed ig coil
    Used a Torqueedo, but not too impressed. It was an older one (8yrs ago?) and range was lacking, along with rusty sheer pins and fragile prop.
    The 2 strokes are a different kettle of fish entirely, quite different and in my view much superior machines. Restore and enjoy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast