Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Using a surveyor to view a potential new boat on your behalf

I've found a potential new boat online, it's a class that I've long since admired and this one looks like a good example from the pictures. The problem is, I can't get away to view it for a couple of weeks because of family and work commitments (and it's literally the other end of the country).

What would you do? I have the cash ready and waiting, but i'm not sure about putting in an offer without a viewing as it might not even be taken seriously. Has anyone employed a surveyor to have a look around the boat and then report back to you as what they would offer? It wouldn't have to be a full survey, just an hour of their time to give an opinion, with a full survey to follow.

Or is there another option that I'm not aware of? Any experiences would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Default Re: Using a surveyor to view a potential new boat on your behalf

I think that a surveyor would only carry out a full survey or one limited to your specific instructions and would not offer an opinion other than to say something along the lines of it represents a .......... example of the class, eg good, average or similar adjective. He will not tell you that it is just the boat you are looking for or not based on an hour looking at its cushions and interior.

Yes, some surveyors will do this sort of inspection, and once you take into account the cost and time for you to travel across the country to view a boat, and the risk that you will be disappointed, I think its actually quite good value!
    You don't say where the boat you're interested in is based, but I know of one chap in the west country who is happy to inspect a boat for far distant prospective buyers.
    Alan Plummer - https://apmarinesurveys.co.uk/
    No connection, I just know two people who have used him to survey boats successfully

Where is the boat? Someone here might have a look at it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by skipper021 View Post
    Yes, some surveyors will do this sort of inspection, and once you take into account the cost and time for you to travel across the country to view a boat, and the risk that you will be disappointed, I think its actually quite good value!
    You don't say where the boat you're interested in is based, but I know of one chap in the west country who is happy to inspect a boat for far distant prospective buyers.
    Alan Plummer - https://apmarinesurveys.co.uk/

No connection, I just know two people who have used him to survey boats successfully
    Thanks for that, the boat is in North Wales and yes, if I can avoid a 550 mile round trip at a very busy time for me, that would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
    Rhyl

Quote Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
    I did that just that a few years ago for a boat that was sale near me; took loads of photos which I sent him, along with my opinion that I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

He didn't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Minchsailor View Post
    I did that just that a few years ago for a boat that was sale near me; took loads of photos which I sent him, along with my opinion that I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

He didn't buy it.
    Very wise too after your advice!

We ( https://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/ ) often suggest this if a buyer is a really long way away. Make sure the surveyor knows it is a viewing you are paying him or her to do: maybe an hour of time and a phone report only. You want him to tell you if it's worth you traveling.

Some surveyors will deduct the cost of this if you go on to commission a full pre-purchase survey, some will do a slight reduction, some will treat both trips to the boat as separate bills.

Make it clear to the surveyor what your expectations are of the boat - is it being represented to you as immaculate, or "..... about what you'd expect for the age". Any surveyor worth his salt will spot many major issues within minutes not an hour. The more common the model the more he will know exactly what to look for.

Quote Originally Posted by Minchsailor View Post
    I did that just that a few years ago for a boat that was sale near me
    Someone else on the forum did the same for a friend of mine - in that case the verdict was positive, but unfortunately the boat sold before my friend could get an offer in.

Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast