Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Disaster waiting to happen .

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Elvis ?
    Brilliant. I love this thread.

How to say this without sounding like a hippy / do-gooder / dreamer?

Do you know his life story? I can see that everything you have described raises alarm bells but could he be someone who is not in a good place right now?

I know it's hard and very difficult to put ourselves in a place that might make us responsible for another human being. But from what you describe he seems either crazy and needing advice ( which of course requires accepting it ) , or not in a very good place and needing help.

Of course, it could be that the friend he is waiting for is a very experienced Yachtmaster who will solve everything.

Forgive me for asking questions.
    Someone more informed will come along any minute

Quote Originally Posted by dolabriform View Post

Do you know his life story? I can see that everything you have described raises alarm bells but could he be someone who is not in a good place right now?

I know it's hard and very difficult to put ourselves in a place that might make us responsible for another human being. But from what you describe he seems either crazy and needing advice ( which of course requires accepting it ) , or not in a very good place and needing help.

Of course, it could be that the friend he is waiting for is a very experienced Yachtmaster who will solve everything.

All good question ,
    He could crazy I think you many have a point but who knows,
    both myself and silver fox another member of this forum who help out yesterday agree the guy shouldn't be on board , and I tried telling him .
    the first day I helped him he pointed to an building and told me he lived there , yesterday while lying in the dinghy because he couldn't sit I asked him if he like me to go inside and remove anything he needed and we help him back ashore , but he refuse , I wonder if there is an apartment .
    I not sure he got anyone coming to help him ,
    he had a couple of carries bags of food when we helped him on board and said he now plain not to get off for the next few weeks so he be fine .
    Both his legs are covered in cut no word of a lie both. Bleeding badly plus he got a cast on his foot , his arms where also covered in cuts , he told silver Fox he had some kind skin of problem only very few people have got ,
    I think most likely its injuries he got from going ashore when he lost his last boat .

The boat a westerly as someone pointed out , it was once a good sea boat , it no longer sea worthy bits of strings holding things together .

Although it's sound some thing our of a comic book what I wrote it's really a very dangerous issue , lucky at the moment the weather has settle down but if any NE F 4 comes in , he has a big problem because it gets very choppy here over that he in trouble and he need to move and he won't be able ,

We are all anchored within 70/ 90 meters of a rocky shore , because of the depth of water plus the channels going into the marinas .if any of us had to move it would need to be don't double quick , if he was unlucky to drag in his condition he be on the rocks before setting one foot out of the cockpit .
    If some one drag into him or he drag into another boat in any wind , not only wouldn't be able to help but he put everyone in danger.

We waiting for fair winds to sail to Sicily and this is the best jumping point , but I am temped to sail out of our way to another anchorage to distance ourself for this situation.
    My problem now is I feeling a bit responsible for the guy .
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 17-09-19 at 05:58.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

All you can do is offer help, as you have done - some people just won't be helped even if in trouble, I think a mixture of 90% mental problems 10% misplaced pride.

I was once alongside a Sailfish 18 in Yarmouth IOW, the skipper - with wife and two kids aboard - casually mentioned the lift keel had fallen off on the way there, but anyway they were off west to Cornwall.

When I said in my best Sergeant Wilson ' I say, do you think that's terribly wise ? '

He became very stroppy indeed, nearly a punch up.

I tried to discreetly shadow them when we both set off the next day but he spotted me and began hurling abuse, very slow too so I thought ' OK chum have it your way ' and carried on.

Nowadays with a mobile phone I'd have called the Coastguard to tell them to keep an eye on this idiot, not VHF as that would advertise my meddling in his apparent suicide pact, hopefully he got scared enough to turn back.

You just can't help some people.
    Last edited by Seajet; 17-09-19 at 06:26.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

You are not responsible for him.

You have freely given help and advice for his benefit. For various reasons he has refused your offers of advice. If there is a back story, he is not helping himself by keeping quiet about it. Most of us would help someone down on their luck if they were open about their situation. But you indicate some of what he says doesn’t add up.

Time to step away. If he drags onto the shore, the result will be as it will.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Quote Originally Posted by dolabriform View Post

+1
    To help out with compassion is what makes us human.
    By the way what’s wrong with being a hippy/ do gooder/ dreamer?
    Last edited by robertj; 17-09-19 at 06:25.

Nothing at all.

But and it is a but... in this case the said hippy type is living on borrowed time until something bad befalls him. In ths case it may be the next wind shift and the need to reposition himself before his anchor starts dragging.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

I think most of us who've been sailing for a while have helped people out, usually it's well recieved with a happy ending.

There are a couple of exceptions,

one time a chap on a small yacht was anchored in Emsworth Channel waving a fuel can begging for petrol so we gave him a full can - then it turned out he'd done this all the way from the Hamble, he must have had a small tanker load onboard !

On another occasion we helped a chap with navigation as he'd got lost and ended up in Jersey - we loaned him charts, nav gear and lots of waterproofs for his family - he was very snotty about returning the waterproofs.

However that's just a couple of bad examples, for every one of them there's a hundred grateful people, of course one helps out anyone on the water, it's Karma, man !

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    I think most of us who've been sailing for a while have helped people out, usually it's well recieved with a happy ending.

There are a couple of exceptions,

one time a chap on a small yacht was anchored in Emsworth Channel waving a fuel can begging for petrol so we gave him a full can - then it turned out he'd done this all the way from the Hamble, he must have had a small tanker load onboard !
    , of course one helps out anyone on the water, it's Karma, man !
    Not boaty, but, for a bet, a couple of US guys, way back, got people to tow their (engine-less) Ford T right across the US by holding up a tow rope and asking for help to the next garage/town. Not sure how long it took them..

That sounds like the basis for a good book.

Reminds me of ' Around Ireland With A Fridge ' by Tony Hawkes - for a bet he hitched the entire way around Ireland, standing by the roadside with a fridge, as I recall nobody actually asked him what the fridge was for

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast