Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Disaster waiting to happen .

Quote Originally Posted by robertj View Post
    By the way what’s wrong with being a hippy/ do gooder/ dreamer?
    So long as it does not amount to being parasitic...

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by mjcoon View Post
    So long as it does not amount to being parasitic...

Mike.
    True, but who's the worse parasite - the hippy type with minimal needs/desires and we have the option to help or not, or the robber baron industrialist (at whatever scale) who exploits his workers who have little choice in the matter, taking as much as he can and giving as little as possible back?
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Difficult

I do mountaineering in a minor way. That is to say I am up and down UK mountains in rain, snow, fog or even occasionally sunshine. Yet I note many callouts by Mountain Rescue Team are to people very poorly equipped and more embarrassing for me, to people who are well equipped but haven't planned well enough to get up or down what they planned. The former group risk their lives, and their childrens lives. The MRT drag out in all weathers to help them. MRT members have injured themselves on shouts and a few have even died. The MRT never comment directly as to blame though one can read between the lines but are always willing to help, and that is as it should be.

A numpty who doesn't listen to advice is willingly risking others well being. Failing to anchor correctly in the OPs scenario risks damage to others boats. Going in a wilfully ill equipped boat or refusing assistance might result in stress or danger to lifeboat crew. Penlee lifeboat disaster was an extreme case.

Though I do things that might require assistance if it all goes wrong beyond my ability to recover, I still think that those who act as fools are parasitic
    Last edited by oldmanofthehills; 17-09-19 at 08:40.
    A boat is for going places

Reminds me of Captain Calamity of yesteryear.

Wonder what happened to him?
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    True, but who's the worse parasite - the hippy type with minimal needs/desires and we have the option to help or not, or the robber baron industrialist (at whatever scale) who exploits his workers who have little choice in the matter, taking as much as he can and giving as little as possible back?
    Hope you are not referring to some members of this forum.
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver be. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

Well a bit more info has come to light this morning, after silver Fox had another word ,
    If Steve want to share thar fine with me .
    We looking at moving on to morrow or Thursday .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by nortada View Post
    Hope you are not referring to some members of this forum.
    Sailors are a broad spectrum and thus must encompass sociopaths, the careless, the lazy etc. I hope none are too extreme but give me the aspergic or anal retentive any day when safety is concerned
    A boat is for going places

Quote Originally Posted by dolabriform View Post
    How to say this without sounding like a hippy / do-gooder / dreamer?

Do you know his life story? I can see that everything you have described raises alarm bells but could he be someone who is not in a good place right now?

I know it's hard and very difficult to put ourselves in a place that might make us responsible for another human being. But from what you describe he seems either crazy and needing advice ( which of course requires accepting it ) , or not in a very good place and needing help.

Of course, it could be that the friend he is waiting for is a very experienced Yachtmaster who will solve everything.

Forgive me for asking questions.
    I was recently in Port Ginesta for a couple of nights, sailing with an old friend of mine. The Marina, being full, put us on a berth near the fuel pontoon. Nearby was a smallish (29ft) cruiser in a very bad state; mast down and rigging all over the place, no fenders; so was grinding against the wall, cockpit a mess etc. A youngish guy came over to speak to me about my boat, and as he walked away, I realised that he was the owner of the aforementioned wreck. That night, at about 2AM we were were woken by continued shouting and swearing, and thought it was someone having an argument. We poked our heads out and realised it was the same guy, ranting and raving to himself as he walked up and down the pontoon. This carried on, so I went off and fetched the security guys; he was obviously suffering from some sort of mental condition or was off his head on drugs. We later learned that he had arrived a couple of days earlier, left the marina, only to have his mast fall down about a half-mile out, and had tried to set a jury rig to get the the Balearics. The police towed him back. The marina were at a bit of a loss as to what to do; he seemed determined to leave. All quite sad really

With the singing potatoes and a mexican midget

As a counter to this thread does anyone remember the tale of shrimps and I think it was Shane Acton sailing around the world with no prior experience in a caprice? Not all dreamers fail.

Quote Originally Posted by boaterbaz View Post
    As a counter to this thread does anyone remember the tale of shrimps and I think it was Shane Acton sailing around the world with no prior experience in a caprice? Not all dreamers fail.
    'Shrimpy' and the book is available on line to read.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast