Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Default Re: Disaster waiting to happen .

Quote Originally Posted by boaterbaz View Post
    As a counter to this thread does anyone remember the tale of shrimps and I think it was Shane Acton sailing around the world with no prior experience in a caprice? Not all dreamers fail.
    ' Dreamer' Chay Blythe set off round the world with zero sailing experience..
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post
    Sailors are a broad spectrum and thus must encompass sociopaths, the careless, the lazy etc. I hope none are too extreme but give me the aspergic or anal retentive any day when safety is concerned
    I totally disagree.. anal retentive, OCD, Aspergers types ( not a proper category..but I know who you mean) are more interested in list making, having everything in date and tickety-boo, BUT getting on with the other crew and coping with the rough and the smooth with a joke is not their forté, and they are generally useless, nervous, anxious, twitchy, restless, uncomforable to hang out with, ill at ease, withdrawn and self absorbed, the very worst attributes for a sailing vessel, and they make the other crew edgy. Avoid at all costs. I speak from experience.
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    I totally disagree.. anal retentive, OCD, Aspergers types ( not a proper category..but I know who you mean) are more interested in list making, having everything in date and tickety-boo, BUT getting on with the other crew and coping with the rough and the smooth with a joke is not their forté, and they are generally useless, nervous, anxious, twitchy, restless, uncomforable to hang out with, ill at ease, withdrawn and self absorbed, the very worst attributes for a sailing vessel, and they make the other crew edgy. Avoid at all costs. I speak from experience.
    I believe all engineers are a touch aspergic, thats why they care about detail compared with politicians and people pleasers. OCD is of course unpleasant to be around and anyone far enough on the aspergic spectrum becomes autistic and thus too inflexible for safety. However a friends daughter is autistic and a happy enough soul as is one of my neighbours children.

Miserabilists and self pitiers should be avoided, however I agree with the actress who said she liked pessimists because they're the ones who always bring life jackets for the boat.
    A boat is for going places

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345