Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Any good birdscaring tips?

What actually works?

Arriving at the boat this weekend we were faced with just a carpet of bird poo. Clearly the local Starlings or Swallows or whatever they were had been gorging on berries, then sitting on the boats in the yard to do their business. It was incredible. Most of the boats were just plastered with guano.
    Over the 2 days it took us a total of over an hour to clean it all off, with plentiful use of cleaner...

I've now gone and bought a plastic owl, who has taken up residence on the boom, much to the amusement of the rest of the crew, but I have to be honest I'm not expecting great things....

Has anyone found a solution that actually works?
    You never know, I might be right!

Default Re: Any good birdscaring tips?

I've seen birds sitting on plastic owls

As for a solution that works, black thread stretched a few inches above the places where they perch will do the job, but may not be very convenient or easy to arrange.

At least in Portsmouth Harbour, the gulls and cormorants have seen it all before, so none of the usual things do more than provide entertainment for them. A good air rifle might help
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Like Squirrels you'll never beat them, best to just get a bird spotting book and take up twitching
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Moving your boat!

I had a swing mooring on the Exe and was covered in guano, moved a few hundred meters upstream, due to the channel moving, and the problem went away.
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    I've seen birds sitting on plastic owls
    That was rather my fear...

My hope is that this seems to mostly be a seasonal thing, with migrating birds gathering in the bushes behind the yard for a few weeks to eat berries before they fly south, so with a bit of luck they won't be there long enough to become accustomed to whatever bird scaring device works...

And they must be just sitting on the deck, the whole boat was absolutely covered, I've never seen anything like it...

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Moving your boat!

I had a swing mooring on the Exe and was covered in guano, moved a few hundred meters upstream, due to the channel moving, and the problem went away.
    We're drysailed, so it seems to be luck where in the yard you get put... Though it's fair to say it seemed fairly universal...

Thread and other perch deterrents don't stop them they even hang off the vertical bits of the rigging. Vibration helps so a tight line like a topping lift that sets up a thrum/hum throuhout could help but might be just as annoying to anyone on board or nearby..
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

Tell them your wife will be along in 10 minutes & she broke one of the arms of your last mistress
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 16-09-19 at 10:01.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    Tell them your wife will be along in 10 minutes & she broke one of the arms of your last mistress
    One...?

Maybe an owl that's not made of plastic? Somewhere or other (QAB?) I saw a hawk-shaped kite flown off a thin pole which looked pretty convincing to me, though I was not the target audience.
    Last edited by Quiddle; 16-09-19 at 10:23.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast